• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'New skin' for sore hocks? U/D Pictures of his feet U/D his front feet:(

We have just picked the handsome Oscar~Domeric up to trim his nails and i think he has the start of sore hocks:cry:. They are a little red, skin not broken or bleeding.

Did a bit of research on sore hocks in rex rabbits before we got him, and an article from the 'house rabbit network' says

Note: New-Skin has been a great and highly effective treatment for sore hocks. It provides extra cushion to take weight off the hock, and protects the inflamed area, allowing it to heal. Just place some on the affected area and hold your bunny until it dries. Each treatment will last several days.

Would like people's opinion on this, is it a good idea, has anyone used it on their Rabbits?.

Last edited:
We have just picked the handsome Oscar~Domeric up to trim his nails and i think he has the start of sore hocks:cry:. They are a little red, skin not broken or bleeding.

Did a bit of research on sore hocks in rex rabbits before we got him, and an article from the 'house rabbit network' says

Note: New-Skin has been a great and highly effective treatment for sore hocks. It provides extra cushion to take weight off the hock, and protects the inflamed area, allowing it to heal. Just place some on the affected area and hold your bunny until it dries. Each treatment will last several days.

Would like people's opinion on this, is it a good idea, has anyone used it on their Rabbits?.

Jane has had a long running battle with sore hocks...she might be bale to help :wave:

Personally I would not use New Skin on sore hocks. For one thing it is agonisingly painful when it is applied, I have used it on myself and my Vet has used it on herself too. She has advised that it is NOT used on Rabbits.

My vet (FHB) advised me to use it on Artie's sore hocks a few months ago as the skin wasn't broken. I tried it on my unbroken skin and could see the benefits of it. However apart from the fact I'm useless at hands on stuff and would have struggled to get it on him, I really worried that his red, inflammed skin might just be slightly broken without me realising it :? I also worried what if I hadn't got his feet completely clean before applying it and was actually sealing bacteria in beneath this artificial skin. ... In all I daren't use it.

:wave: sorry it took a while to reply, just finished a 12 1/2 hr shift.

Thank you for replying on the thread, now im at a bit of a loss as to what to do for the best:(.
Jacks Jane would you not even use it on 'intact' skin?.
I got the link thank you, i would be so worried that he would eat it though?.

We are at the stage preventative rather than cure (i think) will try and get some pics of them tomorrow.

Thank you again guys. x

:wave: sorry it took a while to reply, just finished a 12 1/2 hr shift.

Thank you for replying on the thread, now im at a bit of a loss as to what to do for the best:(.
Jacks Jane would you not even use it on 'intact' skin?.
I got the link thank you, i would be so worried that he would eat it though?.

We are at the stage preventative rather than cure (i think) will try and get some pics of them tomorrow.

Thank you again guys. x

I would not use it full stop :)

Keeping him on deep soft hay bedding, keeping his weight down, keeping his toenails short should all help.

How bad are the hocks atm and how old is he ?

He is under 1 year old (aprox), however he does act like a really young rabbit, in the things he does (if that makes sense). His weight is good for his size ect. We cut his nails lastnight, they were not long, Rich said they look like 'young' rabbit nails ( i have no idea how he would know though) they were quite thin and pointy at the end.

Im going to try and get a photo of his hocks to show you (god fingers crossed). x

Ok that didnt go that well, we couldnt take a decent pic. I held held him and Rich tried to have a good look, and take a photo (the photo failed) but this is how he describes it ''the hock has flakey skin, pink around the outside edge, and in the middle the flakey skin has rubbed off and it looks a little redder''.

Ok that didnt go that well, we couldnt take a decent pic. I held held him and Rich tried to have a good look, and take a photo (the photo failed) but this is how he describes it ''the hock has flakey skin, pink around the outside edge, and in the middle the flakey skin has rubbed off and it looks a little redder''.

Well it *sounds* not to be too bad at the moment.

I have found that some Rexes will never have 100% fur coverage on their hocks, but as long as they are housed on suitable bedding (deep soft hay is best, IMO) then the skin remains intact. As the Rabbit ages the skin thickens and is more resilient. Obviously it is very important to check the hocks daily for any further deterioration and to seek *prompt* veterinary attention should this occur.

Applying creams when the skin is just exposed and not inflamed/broken can make things worse as the cream flattens the surrounding fur removing what little protection it gave.

There are various topical treatments which can be used if necessary, but without being able to see your Buns hocks I cant really suggest if any are likely to be appropriate at this stage.

But it is so heartening to see that you are taking great care to find out as much info as possible about 'Rex Hocks', your boy is obviously in very good hands :D

Well it *sounds* not to be too bad at the moment.

I have found that some Rexes will never have 100% fur coverage on their hocks, but as long as they are housed on suitable bedding (deep soft hay is best, IMO) then the skin remains intact. As the Rabbit ages the skin thickens and is more resilient. Obviously it is very important to check the hocks daily for any further deterioration and to seek *prompt* veterinary attention should this occur.

Applying creams when the skin is just exposed and not inflamed/broken can make things worse as the cream flattens the surrounding fur removing what little protection it gave.

There are various topical treatments which can be used if necessary, but without being able to see your Buns hocks I cant really suggest if any are likely to be appropriate at this stage.

But it is so heartening to see that you are taking great care to find out as much info as possible about 'Rex Hocks', your boy is obviously in very good hands :D

Thank you, our rabbits mean the world to us, we just want to do the very best for them.
I am so glad it doesn't sound too bad (i will still try to get photos) Their house is carpeted (we went for the softest carpet, to allow his nails to sink in to the flooring as much as possible). They have huge storage boxes filled with hay, however they spend most of their time on the carpet, which i know isnt the best flooring for him:(.

I would really like you to see his feet, and will try again to take a photo (i am hoping to get one when he is 'flopped' out). x

I really like this stuff for sore hocks. It seems to encourage fur regrowth:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-and-cat-..._15/veterinus-derma-gel-100ml-ointment-p-1822

You don't need to use much, just a tiny bit on a cotton bud.

:wave: Thank you, that does look good.

I have managed to take some photos of his feet, will get Rich to upload them when he gets back from work (im totally rubbish, and wouldnt even know where to start:oops:).

Ive had an idea though, he is currently on carpet, if i laid cardboard over the carpet, would that be better?.

i thought carpet was abrasive and rexes were better off on grass or thick layers of soft hay (sorry if im worng i have "normal " furred bunnies but even they if on towels too much get hock problems, not to the extent of broken skin just that it rubs away the fur,

i also think i remember someone saying that flamazine was really good? iv used calendula on sore skin after urine scold and worked wonders i would imagine if the skin was unbroken and sore that calendula would also reduce any swelling or soreness. x

Back