• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

storing hay in a shed

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
what would be the best way to store it? i'm hoping to buy a new shed for more storage space and it would be much better to have the hay in there.

does anyone do this? does the hay stay fresh when it's raining outside and the air is damp?

I keep all my bales in the bunny sheds and it's absolutely fine. My sheds are insulated and last winter I installed heating but prior to that they weren't heated and the hay still kept fine.

I keep it contained in duvet covers as keeping it in the dark stops it from going yellow quite so quickly :D. I tend to store it end on so that the bulk of the hay is exposed to the air.

I keep all my bales in the bunny sheds and it's absolutely fine. My sheds are insulated and last winter I installed heating but prior to that they weren't heated and the hay still kept fine.

I keep it contained in duvet covers as keeping it in the dark stops it from going yellow quite so quickly :D. I tend to store it end on so that the bulk of the hay is exposed to the air.

thanks. :) i get three of the 9.5kg bags of hay from hay for pets every 4 weeks and i'm sick of them taking up the whole hall! :oops: it would be great if we could store them outside and just bring in a smaller amount at a time. :D

i was planning to get a cheaper shed and insulate it with plywood boarding. and it would have a closed window aswell so no air really. i assume that would be ok?

great idea about storing it in duvets aswell. :D i was thinking cardboard boxes but thought there must be a better way. :)

mine are also in the shed, in large plastic bags that are open at top, but will be using old duvet covers from now on!! The hay stays green and fresh for ages, and my shed smells lovely when I open the door!!

mine are also in the shed, in large plastic bags that are open at top, but will be using old duvet covers from now on!! The hay stays green and fresh for ages, and my shed smells lovely when I open the door!!

:D i think i will definitely buy a shed then. i'm stupidly excited about it just because it will free up the hall from bags of hay everywhere! :oops::lol:

Just one word of warning....I get covered in hay getting it out of the shed as I grab it by the armful! And all the bits get everywhere lol :lol::lol:

mine is just kept in a duvet cover... when it was really cold there was a damp feel but i think that was due to it being freezing rather than really damp... i would fill my bag up in the morning, leave it in the house and then by the time i got home from work it was just fine :D

I keep mine in a plastic storage box (for garden furniture) in the garage and it keeps well. This way I can separate out the 'slices' inside the box and it doesn't go everywhere.

I bought a bale bag from a horse shop, transports home without a mess and I stand on end in the shed still in the bag but with the top open to let air circulate. I do stand it on a couple of those wire pot stands for the garden so that it doesn't sit and go mouldy. I use one of those cheap laundry bags made out of that tarpaulin material to use a section or slice at a time...no mess then :)

Back