• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need Advice> Store Selling Animals And Nobody Is Taking Responsibilty

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
newton abbot trago mills have started selling animals. You would think that such a well known and well advertised store would have some understanding of standards needed for these poor animals. please read this message and give me any advice you can. so far the following message has been sent to RWAF, RSPCA, RabbitRehome [these three have been helpful and told me to contact the store and council as its THIER responsiblity] So i have then forwarded the message below onto newton abbot trago mills and newton abbot district council.

Sent: 15 July 2011 20:42
To: Rabbits United Forum; hq@rabbitwelfare.co.uk; campaigns@rspca.org.uk
Subject: advice please .
Importance: High

To whom it may concern

I am emailing you all to ask your advice and opinion of a situation i came across today.

My Husband and i went to Trago Mills Newton Abbot today and ventured into their lovely new garden centre which is part building, part conservatory, part outdoor. Within this section they have a pet accessory area, which we noticed had grown as well. When we went into the conservatory part which was very warm and we were shocked to see they are now selling animals. All seemed snoozy in the heat as they were being kept in glass enclosed small areas. We went and looked at the rabbits and they were again all very snoozy and most of them had no shaded area. Those that did were in the tunnels etc again sleeping. These holding areas weren't any longer than 4ft maximum and a maximum of only 2ft deep [some where smaller] and they were each holding between 2-5 rabbits!!

We then went and looked at the hutches they are selling and again we were disgusted.

They have hutches for sale which are labelled as “rabbit hutches”. The smallest started from about two and half foot one level! it was less than a foot deep and no where near tall enough for even a Netherland dwarf rabbit to stand up in! There was another one which was the same length and depth but was a two tier with open bottom. The biggest hutch they had was 4ft one tier. No sign of runs etc.

I am hoping that by contacting you all you will be able to advise or somehow help stop them selling rabbits in these unreasonable conditions and from selling hutches that are absolutely unsuitable for any breed of rabbit.

Newton abbot trago mills have failed to answer me. and according to newton abbot district council it is not their responsibility .... i have been now told by them that i have to take it up with defra which i have but i just feel like i am fighting a loosing battle for these poor animals. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

however according to the RSPCA quote :The Pet Animals Act 1951 (as amended in 1983) protects the welfare of animals sold as pets.

The Act requires any person keeping a pet shop or in this instance a pet shop within a garden centre to be licensed by the local authority.

Local authorities are also responsible for enforcing the law in this area and anyone who has reason to believe that a pet shop is keeping animals in inadequate conditions should raise the matter with the local authority who will decide what action to take within the range of its powers.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind regards
RSPCA HQ Advice Team

I dont know what else to do .... its been a long few days waiting for some good news that someone has done something but so far my wait seems to be in vain. Feeling very low and very useless. Wish i could do something my self!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

:censored:

You're doing all the right things and please don't give up hope. Did you write to the Environmental Health department of the local council? They are the ones that grant the licence. I would write to them again and give them a few days to reply. If no reply is forthcoming, I would write a third time, explaining that I'm unhappy with this situation being ignored; that animals may die as a result and therefore I'm going to contact the Media. Then I would do just that. Sometimes the Media love an animal neglect story and this should have extra kudos as the regulatory bodies are turning a blind eye.

Good luck!

Passing The Blame>

thanks for your response. I have heard back from the council after quoting what i had been told by the RSPCA [see original post] and now apparently i need to contact Teignbridge council as they deal with this. :roll: Ever feel like people are passing the book. I have let RWAF know and the RSPCA and now DEFRA so one more council isnt a problem for me :roll::roll:

I wont give up on the animals. If i dont get somewhere soon i plan to go back to the store [even though it is about 50-60miles from where i live] and get some answers that way..

I will keep you all informed how i get on. But if any one lives near newton abbot and fancies popping in i would be greatful of someone elses opinion of their set up and the hutches they are selling.

I am determined to get things better for these animals :love:

I go to the Trago Mills in Cornwall near Dobwalls, thats the last time I give them any money. Well done for fighting for them, I think the more people that voice their concerns the more that will be done.

Have emailed the licencsing department.

Last edited:
Back