• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd concern

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Just read that there has been a confirmed case of vhd in havent, my husbands nan lives in havent and she writes to me, she is a very active lady always out of the house walking around and still does her gardening, the last letter I recieved was a day or so ago, is there any risk to my bunnies from recieving the letter from her? What if I touch the letter then touch the bunnies?

Has your nan been handling the rabbits with VHD?

Personally I wouldn't give them sonething that has been handled by so many strangers, but I doubt there is any risk at all of the risk having VHD on it unless you know one of the people involved has been handling infected rabbits.

Assuming your rabbits were vaccinated correctly they will be immune. There is always a minute chance something went wrong with the vaccination so you should never carelessly expose a rabbit to any disease. However the chance really is minute.

No, absolutely no chance. I know you have been stressed lately. Its your mind playing mind games with the VHD again. Please try to stop worrying.

She also sent a book to me, is that safe? I think the book touched a teddy that we have on the sofa, I have sprayed the teddy where I think the book touched but am still panicing!

Your rabbits are vaccinated and therefore perfectly safe. The only thing you need to worry about is keeping vaccinations upto date. Other than that there is nothing to be concerned with.

My hand touched where the book was then I made the bed, is there any risk?

No there is no risk you are panicing. There would be no risk even if the bunnies ate the book. They are vaccinated and safe. The chances of any VHD being on the book anyway would be billions to one, and they would still be safe.

So should I worry about touching that part of the bedding?
I have sprayed it with the 'Method All Purpose Cleaner' will that clean it?

I am still panicing about vhd... I have cleaned the bedding now for the 3rd day in a row and am now panicing more because the duvet touched the book!
Should I take the book to the bunnies and let them sniff and walk on it to prove to myself there is no problem? Would there be even a 0.0000001% risk involved?

I am still panicing about vhd... I have cleaned the bedding now for the 3rd day in a row and am now panicing more because the duvet touched the book!
Should I take the book to the bunnies and let them sniff and walk on it to prove to myself there is no problem? Would there be even a 0.0000001% risk involved?

I'm going to say this one last time Rachy, there is no % risk. You're not logically thinking, as we've discussed previously.

I'm not going to try re-assuring you any further, as i truly believe we are feeding your OCD - i think you need professional help, especially with a baby on the way.

Hope you get the help you need.

x

Hun, your buns are perfectly safe, there us NO chance of them contracting VHD from the book. If you are really worried, why not throw the book away so that your OCD has nothing to pray on?

But listen, even if the book or letter had been exposed to VHD, even if your OH's nan sent you a bun with VHD, your buns are TOTALLY safe because they are vaccinated :wave:

Oh love, you really are getting yourself into a right twist with your OCD.

Take a piece of paper, write on it in big letters "MY RABBITS CANNOT GET VHD. THEY ARE VACCINATED AND COMPLETELY SAFE" and stick it on the wall above their home. Whenever you feel a panic coming on, read this over and over, like a mantra, tell your OCD where to stick it!

Back