• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single buns, failed bondings

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Just wondering how many of you have single buns that have failed to ever bond with another bun, how many attempts did you do before you gave up?

Are some buns just unbondable or is there a somebun for every bun :)

Or were you successful in the end, how many did you try before your bunny found Mr or Mrs right.

I would love my bugsy to have a friend but I really don't know if this will ever happen :(

I had Fay and Starbuck separately as single buns for a while. They were a failed bond - I gave up after one attempt, they had a nasty fight, and it had already been a long attempt at bonding. We thought their personalities, or rather their prior experience, meant there was a likelihood they wouldnt bond.

So....Fay got bonded a few months later with Kenco.

We kept Starbuck as a single housebunny in our lounge for about 10 months, then he was bonded with Muesli. :)

Alvin is a difficult boy to bond, he's far too keen for some bunnies liking and he has failed with two now I think, the first one they locked on and rolled after a few days of being loved up and he ripped her ear :(.

I let the rescue decide what little girly suits him, she needs to be one who don't mind constant humping :oops:

i'm scared now i've moved that should Alvin be widowed again I may not be able to get him a wife because I cannot bond myself and it looks like the closest rescue to me does not spay the females so that rules them out as far too many hormones :( :( :(

:wave: My dear old Molly (11 years old at the time and had been single for 5 years) would not bond with anyone. I did wonder if it was because she knew she wasn't well (she was diagnosed with masses a month after I adopted her and only lived another 15 months).

I have often wondered if the unbondable (?!) know something about themselves that we don't.

Sandy was a pain in the bum to bond. I tried her with every male going here (and we have far more boys than girls) and she fought them all. I had one last hope for her in the form of Roger, the wildie, who is just so very nice. I put her in with him, watched her tail go up, waited for her to fight, and Roger just walked over and groomed her like never before.

Perfect match :) She was only being awkward because she was so anxious of other bunnies. Now both bunnies are very happy together. I reckon he was her 11th try- something like that.

I also have Candyfloss, who is very difficult to keep in a bond. she's on her fourth husbun.

I think, with the ones who are difficult to bond, it's important to look at why. Often it's a case of finding the right partner who can meet their needs, but sometimes it's more complicated (like in the case of my Sky, who reckons i'm his bonded friend and tries to drive everyone else off) and sometimes it's just not doable for the safety of the bunnies involved.

I've only tried to bond Daisy once, and she didnt seen that bothered with her new partner, although they got on ok. After a fews weeks they started fighting each other and had to be separated :( the other bun ended up back at the rescue because i dont have room for 2 seperate buns. I've never tried to bond her again- i'm terrified she would get into a fight again when i wasnt there to split them up. She is a house bun so gets plenty of attention from me and she seems happy. I think she is quite set in her ways lol. I couldnt go through the heartache of taking another bun back to a rescue if it didnt work out with a new bun.

eric and esme are a failed bond so they live apart. breaks my heart that it ended like that but at least i have 2 happy - and uninjured - bunnies. i'm at home almost all of the time so they both have a lot of human interaction which they love.

i hoped to get a friend for each of them but due to circumstances (mainly lack of finances), i haven't been able to do this - plus, they're both dental buns so i can't risk any more vet bills or i wouldn't be able to cope.

if i had my time again, i would have taken my first bun to a rescue to choose their own partner.

Sandy was a pain in the bum to bond. I tried her with every male going here (and we have far more boys than girls) and she fought them all. I had one last hope for her in the form of Roger, the wildie, who is just so very nice. I put her in with him, watched her tail go up, waited for her to fight, and Roger just walked over and groomed her like never before.

Perfect match :) She was only being awkward because she was so anxious of other bunnies. Now both bunnies are very happy together. I reckon he was her 11th try- something like that.

I also have Candyfloss, who is very difficult to keep in a bond. she's on her fourth husbun.

I think, with the ones who are difficult to bond, it's important to look at why. Often it's a case of finding the right partner who can meet their needs, but sometimes it's more complicated (like in the case of my Sky, who reckons i'm his bonded friend and tries to drive everyone else off) and sometimes it's just not doable for the safety of the bunnies involved.

Wow 11th attempt :shock: so there may still be hope for bugsy then :D

Wow 11th attempt :shock: so there may still be hope for bugsy then :D

This is them :)

20110511_25.jpg

008.jpg

003.jpg

I can't upload any of the better ones.

Thanks for your replies its really interesting to read their little stories.

Bugsy failed to bond with my girls the first time around and then we tried again after they had lived besides each other for a couple of months, the second time ended with a not very nice fight with floss :( he is now back side by side with them and I think he is confused, it's as if he wants to be with them but doesn't know how to act!

He was tried with several buns at the rescue before he came to me and it never worked out mainly due to his excessive humping! He's going to need one special bunny who will put up with his amorous behaviour or maybe one who will put him in his place, who knows?

Angel is a single bun because Fidget is a big bully and wouldn't share her man!

I tried twice with no avail and Kayj also tried with them while they stayed with her on their holidays but still no luck :(

On the plus side, Angel does get a huuuuuge double bedroom all to herself (well apart from the pesky hoomins that decide to sleep in there too)

Thanks for your replies its really interesting to read their little stories.

Bugsy failed to bond with my girls the first time around and then we tried again after they had lived besides each other for a couple of months, the second time ended with a not very nice fight with floss :( he is now back side by side with them and I think he is confused, it's as if he wants to be with them but doesn't know how to act!

He was tried with several buns at the rescue before he came to me and it never worked out mainly due to his excessive humping! He's going to need one special bunny who will put up with his amorous behaviour or maybe one who will put him in his place, who knows?

Starbuck was a bit like that with Fay - it was like he was so excited to be with another bunny, that he didnt know how to act with her. They'd both had bad experiences so he needed someone much more sedate.

Luckily he found that in his next attempt at bonding, which was done for me by a rescue, with an older beutered male bunny. Even when Starbuck gets spring fever, Muesli doesnt seem to mind. Starbuck still doesnt understand that he needs to give Muesli headlicks!

Still, it works for them and they love each other lots. :)

Good luck with finding his ideal partner :)

Angel is a single bun because Fidget is a big bully and wouldn't share her man!

I tried twice with no avail and Kayj also tried with them while they stayed with her on their holidays but still no luck :(

On the plus side, Angel does get a huuuuuge double bedroom all to herself (well apart from the pesky hoomins that decide to sleep in there too)

:lol:

its lovely to hear some positive outcomes :love:

i would love to see eric and esme snuggled up to a bunfriend each. one day eh rodney:(

awwww:love:

reading about the other pair too was lovely - shows that there's somebun for all - just have to find the right one.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115881&highlight=emily this is a bonding thread about Jack and Emily, this was the 5th and final chance to find him a partner.

Thanks for that Janice, it made very interesting reading. I think there still may be hope for bugsy and that the problem was that floss really didn't like him, he needs a bun that likes him enough to tolerate the humping until it settles down and give him lots of fuss and attention, he so craves love and attention. Will be keeping a very close eye out for new arrivals at my local rescue who may be suitable match *;) at Helen *

I think nerves of steal are needed for this bonding lark, I take my hat off to you guys who not only give up your precious time and sleep but are strong enough to cope with the stress of it all :D think I'd be a quivering wreck :lol:

Bouncer has had 5 failed bonds (I think). I don't think Jill has ruled out the possibility of him bonding and this could happen if the circumstances were right but atm he is looking for a home as a solo house bun :)

no, but I'm hoping that I don't end up having a failed bond when I bond my three (well, 4 or 5, as I intend on getting one or two more buns and then bonding them all as a group).

I'm afraid one will fall out and then what do I do? Get another bun and risk having two single buns? :? I dont know of any rescues or anything in Florida that will bond buns so I couldn't do a 'date' and see what rescue bun would make a good match.....

Back