• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes!

Please help me.
How high can a fox jump?
I have been having a debate about this with my husband and he doesn't think a fox can jump a six foot fence.
I believe they can. I am sure I have seen a photo on here of a fox on a garden shed.
If you have any evidence in the way of photos, I would like to show him if possible.

Just to add, that I have a pile of feathers in the garden today. No carcass and no blood. No signs of the bird being dragged out of the garden.
I suspect a bird of prey, but don't want to rule out a fox.
Thankfully the shed doors were shut, so I doubt that the buns would have seen anything and they seem fine.
We have had a cat new to the neighbourhood visit us recently and the buns were really stressed about that, so I am hoping he isn't the culprit today.

Thank you in advance.

Yes foxes can jump a 6ft fence, I havent got any photos as I ran down the garden to shoe him away.

I couldnt sleep after seeing him in my garden.

I am currently caring for a fox cub. She is about 3 months old, and can easily jump 4 feet high - and that's with a metal plate in her leg to repair a fracture. I would guess that a healthy adult fox could easily manage a 6 foot fence.
The pile of feathers in the garden sounds like the work of a sparrow hawk.

I have on occassions seen foxes scale the walls of houses further along from me and their fences are higher than mine. We are talking 6 foot and they do this very easily. I would think 7 foot is also easy for them if they are fit and healthy

I've seen foxes in the back garden late at night - they can scale a 6ft fence with ease (no photos unfortunately due to the unearthly hour it got me out of bed :lol:) and probably higher, especially if they have something to dig their claws into, much like a cat would climb.

Thank you everyone - I thought that would be the case.

Thank you farplacerescue. I have had a few other people say it was a sparrowhawk. GLad I didn't see it.

i've seen a fox scale a pretty high wall - not sure how high exactly as it was dark and i was driving but it looked about as tall as me (i'm 5'9). i remember it well because i was so shocked at how easily it seemed to mr fox!

sounds like the work of a sparrowhawk - at my old house there was one who lived in the landlord's garden. i saw some horrible things (i know thats nature, i mean it was horrible for ME to see when i could do nothing about it).

how secure are your buns when not in the shed? xx

i've seen a fox scale a pretty high wall - not sure how high exactly as it was dark and i was driving but it looked about as tall as me (i'm 5'9). i remember it well because i was so shocked at how easily it seemed to mr fox!

sounds like the work of a sparrowhawk - at my old house there was one who lived in the landlord's garden. i saw some horrible things (i know thats nature, i mean it was horrible for ME to see when i could do nothing about it).

how secure are your buns when not in the shed? xx

Wow - I wouldn't like to see the sparrowhawk in action. I too agree that it is only nature, but horrible to witness.
The buns are in a 10 x 8 shed with catflap out to their run. It is secure.
They have run of the garden most days, weather permitting, and NEVER unsupervised! I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them.

I had a fox in my garden a couple of months ago, first time in 12 years here I have seen one in garden and we have 6ft brick walls round our garden and it jumped/scaled it's way in and out. Scared me to death and have taken extra precautions, now have a sonic fox deterrent up, a new run which is wire all the way round with wire roof, padlocks on all the opening doors on it, a wooden rabbit house actually inside the run, and new bolts on all the doors on both my cages! I am hoping this will be enough oh and obviously my buns cannot free range now unless I am standing in the garden with them.

Back