• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

And I thought P@H were bad

MichG

Mama Doe
The place I went to today made them look like a Palace for bunnies!!

We are visiting family in Essex and on the way back from Colchester Zoo we popped into a pet store to have a look at stuff for our aquarium. It is a large place in Colchester (with a branch in Ipswich) and I came out and cried.

They had some gorgeous bunnies for sale. Unfortunately the hamsters were kept in bigger "tanks" than these poor things. They were probably 1/3 of the size of a standard indoor cage, with a glass front. In one of these "tanks" there were 4 harlequin coloured lops :cry:. In another of the tanks were 3 larger white bunnies and one had brown packing tape on his foot that he was struggling to remove. So I went straight to the tills to tell someone to remove it, he just laughed and told me he would do it right away :cry:

I just couldn't believe how small the tanks were that they kept them in (way smaller than even the P@H adoption section), the hamster cages were bigger just not quite as tall, there was only room for 1hop inside these cages. I want to write a letter of complaint to the company but don't really know what to say. Is there any minimum size that cages should be in petshops for the licenses??

I feel so sick thinking about the poor little things :cry:

We are visiting family in Essex and on the way back from Colchester Zoo we popped into a pet store to have a look at stuff for our aquarium. It is a large place in Colchester (with a branch in Ipswich) and I came out and cried.

They had some gorgeous bunnies for sale. Unfortunately the hamsters were kept in bigger "tanks" than these poor things. They were probably 1/3 of the size of a standard indoor cage, with a glass front. In one of these "tanks" there were 4 harlequin coloured lops :cry:. In another of the tanks were 3 larger white bunnies and one had brown packing tape on his foot that he was struggling to remove. So I went straight to the tills to tell someone to remove it, he just laughed and told me he would do it right away :cry:

I just couldn't believe how small the tanks were that they kept them in (way smaller than even the P@H adoption section), the hamster cages were bigger just not quite as tall, there was only room for 1hop inside these cages. I want to write a letter of complaint to the company but don't really know what to say. Is there any minimum size that cages should be in petshops for the licenses??

*HUGGLES* I got yuki from a place like that... she was kept in a small glass tank it was horrible........I had to save her....

*HUGGLES* I got yuki from a place like that... she was kept in a small glass tank it was horrible........I had to save her....

I wanted to save them all... unfortunately OH wouldn't let me have another 10 buns (I already have 10!!) and reminded me that they would just replace them and that I would only be encouraging them :roll:

I wanted to save them all... unfortunately OH wouldn't let me have another 10 buns (I already have 10!!) and reminded me that they would just replace them and that I would only be encouraging them :roll:

it just makes you want to save them all even though you know you cant....

there was this pet shop I went to where the pet show owner tied a tether to a buns foot to stop it moving off the counter and stuck a litter tray on the counter for the bun to sit in

I reported it but nothing happened ...........

their other buns only had sawdust nothing else and were in tiny glass tanks....

exactly... my friend bought the bun in the end and took it to a rescue as she was living in halls at the time.

we got photos and the pet shop were told to stop doing it but they didnt ........

she bought the bun and said that if they do it to another bun she will fight them till they were blue in the face and they stopped doing after that but the animals were still in the same state.....

in glass tanks not enough room no hay etc... but we kept reporting them and nothing was done

i know the shop you mean to. i bought a guinea pig from there as there were 8 in one of those tank 3 adults 5 babies, the one i took was so small and being stamped on, took her home she weighed 200g :( and looked like a baby, i guessed her to be only 2-3 weeks old :(

i no longer go in there or P@H but get all my stuff online. i dont like pet shops, as i want to take them all home.

The following thread might help:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94160

The Pet Shop Licence Conditions are likely to be very similar to the following Model Form:

http://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/aio/5791388

You can get a copy of the specific Pet Shop Licence Conditions from the local Council in which the pet shop is located.

From your brief description, the pet shop is non-compliant with several Licence Conditions. They are legally obliged to comply and there are penalties for non-compliance.

There are specific sizes for the accommodation in which animals can be displyed for sale.

:wave:Hope this helps.

The following thread might help:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94160

The Pet Shop Licence Conditions are likely to be very similar to the following Model Form:

http://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/aio/5791388

You can get a copy of the specific Pet Shop Licence Conditions from the local Council in which the pet shop is located.

From your brief description, the pet shop is non-compliant with several Licence Conditions. They are legally obliged to comply and there are penalties for non-compliance.

There are specific sizes for the accommodation in which animals can be displyed for sale.

:wave:Hope this helps.
thats great!

Ill note this for the future incase I see something like that again

Back