• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Referred Aggression

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
What actually causes it? Smelling other rabbits? Seeing them? Hearing them? All the above?

Smelling in our case.

Biscuit smells another rabbit on me from a pet shop (when i went to check on one i was worried about) he went nuts as i didnt change my clothes :oops:

Can be any of them.

Mine tend to struggle most with sight and seeing them move around.

Essentially, I guess what causes it is perceived threat.

They seem ok with scent most of the time (yes this is Nutmeg and Smudge again :roll:) They just mark when and where they smell the other two. They can share the landing quite happily. M&M were on it earlier and N&S are out there now, lots of poops but no more fighting. Yet when M&M were out there and there was the babygate and the laundry basket (to obscure the view) between them N&S started chasing and fur-pulling.

They are fine on the landing though, when M&M are in their own room. I need to be able to let each on the landing. M&M try to help with any cleaning otherwise which gets to point of dangerous cos they're always behind you and I worry I'll tread on them sometime soon. And N&S need to be able to have some time out there to stretch their legs.

I've been sitting in here watching them while the lops are on the landing, piece of board at the gate and I'm now convinced it's because she can hear them. If I put the music on she's ok. If I turn it off she's by the gate, ears everywhere and then if Smudge moves she goes for him. I think I might try taking the gate down and using the doors for a bit. And if that doesn't work I'll just have to have music playing all the time!!

Yes to any of the above, especially if the other rabbit is coming close to the edge of their territory.

If they aren't there at the same time they can share an area but as said above there will be lots of poos and possibly some wee to try and claim the territory.

Just a quick update.

We've divided the landing up. We have an old suitcase on the landing, it has a load of curtains and stuff in it, and I'm using that to block it into half. Well, I say half tbh it's more one third and two thirds. The lops get the two thirds, the lionheads get an hour or so on the other third and, dun dun dun, in my parent's bedroom.

It's a bit of a trial at the moment whether they will destroy anything. Leads are all tucked away but there is furniture they might chew but they seem to be ok so far. Haven't had any marking or aggression since doing this so hopefully this might be the answer. I'm not worried about the marking although it's easier if they don't! Next step is to work on getting my parents to redecorate their room so I can bunnyproof it properly ;) (It does need it, the wallpaper is peeling off)

Smudge took a few days before he would venture in but now he seems happier with it. Nutmeg LOVES it and has been doing Bunny 500's round their bed. :love:

Back