• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frustrated Spudsey

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Madam Spudsey my wildie is a lickle frustrated at present, gnawing at hutch and run mesh, chasing poor BB and generally making a racket. Unfortunately she does not live in a massive hutch/run despite my partner promising me half the garden for her four years ago :( !
I constantly move things about in her hutch and run to make things more interesting and give her things to do but I have now run out of ideas and run out of money!
Its even worse when its raining I cover what I can up with clear perspex but this rain has been awful lately. Her hutch is bare, what newspaper, hay or whatever I put in there just gets dragged down the ramp.
I am working on my other half to get the runaround system ;)

Could you look on Ebay to see if there are any cheap runs or larger hutches going at a cheap price?

Does she have toys, like cheap/free ones eg cardboard boxes, toilet roll inners stuff with hay?

Does she get free-range time and time with you? :wave:

Must be difficult when you are limited financially to give her more :( Hope you can solve something soon for her.

My wildies don't really chew mesh or the wooden part of the run, but they are totally mad on chewing plastic. Freddy will spend hours chewing a covered litter tray and throwing around their other litter trays, plant pots, etc.

Apple tree branches are a good idea...they spend hours knawing the bark off.

Could you look on Ebay to see if there are any cheap runs or larger hutches going at a cheap price?

Does she have toys, like cheap/free ones eg cardboard boxes, toilet roll inners stuff with hay?

Does she get free-range time and time with you? :wave:

Must be difficult when you are limited financially to give her more :( Hope you can solve something soon for her.

Her hutch is homemade and is pretty big, both rabbits can easily stand up in there on their back legs and still have plently of space above them. Run is about 6x4 I think and about 3ft high my other half made it. He could easily make a bigger one but they have already taken over the small amount of patio there is. There have been plans for a new patio for quite sometime but due to time and money its never been done. I thought if I had the runaround system at least then it can go on the grass as long as there is mesh underneath.

Yep cardboard boxes, yellow pages, toilet roll tubes, apple tree branches are all being used.

Because she is not the easiest to pick up (she detests it) I don't give them free range time anywhere, plus have two cats. I did however have both bunnies in the house last week as Spudsey was having meds daily and it was easier and I let them out in the lounge. Was like the old times with Spudsey running up and down the stairs! Perhaps I need to make more effort with this and when I am in the house for longer than an hour make sure I bring them both in.

My wildies don't really chew mesh or the wooden part of the run, but they are totally mad on chewing plastic. Freddy will spend hours chewing a covered litter tray and throwing around their other litter trays, plant pots, etc.

Apple tree branches are a good idea...they spend hours knawing the bark off.

Yes she enjoyed eating the plant pots I hung in her run with food in, and have a whole bin of apple branches. She goes through them quite quickly!

Complete racket being made this morning. She was lifting up her ladder that goes from run to hutch and having a good gnaw...think its time for some more mesh!

Back