• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foraging questions

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Where can I find some info for foraging for dummies without searching through all the threads? I have the rabbit nutrition book already but not everything is in there, hawthorn for one isn't.
I went out yesterday and managed to get some plantain, hazel leaves, hogweed!?, knapweed and some brambles which should keep them going for a couple of days. I went out with my other half and several members of a natural history group who were looking at plant galls, and sedges so I was in good hands!
I really want to get into this and dry stuff for winter.

I'd start with stuff you can easily identify i.e. plaintain, brambles, hawthorn and rose. I go down hedgerows where there are no traffic and pick highup. For my plantain I generally go to the graveyard.

I dry all my stuff in a paper bag with some small holes with a clip on the top and leave it by the airing cupboard.

I'd start with stuff you can easily identify i.e. plaintain, brambles, hawthorn and rose. I go down hedgerows where there are no traffic and pick highup. For my plantain I generally go to the graveyard.

I dry all my stuff in a paper bag with some small holes with a clip on the top and leave it by the airing cupboard.

All nice and easy to spot. I have located loads of brambles and hawthorn on a cycle path. The brambles are set back behind some other bushes so no chance of any dogs having done their business up them! I have a bag and secateurs on me today!

Back