• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

antibiotics stronger than baytril?

xSmeffy123x

Alpha Buck
heya, could i ask if there is any antibiotic stronger than baytril to treat a rabbit with headtilt? Polly is over two weeks in to the treatment now and eventhough she has not gotten worse, she hasn't got any better either.
i rang the vet and all he said was to carry on with it.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced different medication for this? thanks

There are stronger abx, i am sure someone will come along that will know.

But, i just wanted to say that 2 weeks is not a great deal of time to see any improvement. I didn't see much improvement in my Kermit for about 6 weeks!

aaw really? i have heard that it does take time, i mean does it matter if she only had a slight tilt to begin with?

To be honest i don't think that it matters, it all depends on the individual bunny. A lot (like my Kermit) are left with a residual head tilt, whereas some just totally rectify.

It is virtually impossible to determine the exact cause of the head tilt, so there is not a 100% effective cure.

Hopefully she will get a straight head again, but if not then bunnies can cope well with a tilt :)

thats good to hear that it can be all ok, its just so distressing when i pick her up to give her meds and her head tilts alot :( Polly is a fighter though, i knows it.
aaw glad that your kermit was ok :)

thats good to hear that it can be all ok, its just so distressing when i pick her up to give her meds and her head tilts alot :( Polly is a fighter though, i knows it.
aaw glad that your kermit was ok :)

I used to give my Kermit his meds at ground level. I would sit on the floor with him in between my legs. This would stress him out the least.
Here is my wee angel darling....
k9-1.jpg

I give baytril in some mashed banana or mixed with apple juice or soaked into some bread. ;)

We found it took a few weeks with Mischa, mainly because our then vet who didn't know much about rabbits was also giving steroids which kinda counteract their little bodies immune systems. After about three or four weeks we started seeing improvement.

thanks for the advice but polly is so fussy with food, matilda gobbles up everything and polly just turns her nose up. mainly i just squirt it on her paws and she licks it off whilst giving me evils hehe... i hope to see an improvement soon then hopefully, she did her first crazy lopsided binky today :) yay

We give Buckley his baytril on his pellets and wipe up the rest with mint leaves.

He's been on it for... 5 weeks, another 4 weeks to go as we're trying our best to eradicate the bacteria causing his snuffles. It took more than 2 weeks for us to see any improvement.

Hope Matilda is getting better xoxo

Sorry i havent replied until now shes doing ok thanks her next appointment is wednesday so i hope everything goes well. Her balance is a little off still at the moment.

And thanks pebbles i will try that, hows buckley doing now?

Back