• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Mrs Nora

Joh619

Alpha Buck
I think Mrs Nora was feeling a bit poorly last night. She usually growls at you and bites your hand if she thinks you might have food and chases Walter if she thinks he has food. But I went to give the bunnies their tea last night and she didn't even move :( She was sat looking all hunched and sad :(

I tried giving her some spring greens, dandelion, grass, pellets and hay but she just wasn't interested. And she rolled onto her side a couple of times. So we picked her up. She hates being picked up and I didn't want to stress her too much but just wanted to check her out. But I couldn't see anything obvious so put her back in her run. She'd been eating and drinking a few hours earlier when I last went out so I wasn't too concerned that she hadn't eaten, it was just that she was acting odd.

She was sat all hunched and looking sad until about 3 in the morning (I just sat in the garden with them...neighbours probably think I'm mad). Then she suddenly sat up, started washing and then ran at me begging for food :roll: She ate some leaves off the apple tree and then I went to bed, and she's been fine since.

I'm guessing she just had a tummy ache or something, but it just seems strange that she instantly got better. Has anyone else experienced that? Maybe she had wind :oops:

I think bunnies can get wind (?) but it really is best to get them to a vet when they are hunched and not eating, as it may not resolve itself and the bun can go down him rapidly without vet meds.

Could she have eaten something in the garden?- like a sweet kids have thrown over,? or something a bird has dropped?- or some new weed that has popped up?

Rabbits usually hunch when in pain for some reason.

If it happens again in the next few weeks I would take her in for a check.

The first thought when rabbits won't eat is dental problems and a rabbit-savvy vet could tell you if this is the case or not.

(If you think she has wind I think they gentle rub their tummy and then put them on a warm towel but do check that on other threads on here.)

sue:wave:

I guess she could have eaten something, although they have just been in their run (on paving slabs) as it was chucking it down all day so they hadn't been in the garden. But if something had gotten into the run she probably would have at least tried. They did chew up all the lino out of their hutch the other week, but we swept up all the millions of bits they'd left everywhere so hopefully she hadn't eaten any of that.

I'm keeping an eye on her, and I think they're due their vaccinations soon so I might make an appointment for next weekend anyway (unless she gets worse again, of course). I was getting to the point of calling the vets when she decided to get better. Although I don't know if they have someone available at 3 in the morning :shock:

I did try tummy rubs, although I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. Where's best to rub and how? But only managed about 2 seconds and she decided she didn't like being held anymore (she hates being picked up).

I think bunnies can get wind (?) but it really is best to get them to a vet when they are hunched and not eating, as it may not resolve itself and the bun can go down him rapidly without vet meds.

Could she have eaten something in the garden?- like a sweet kids have thrown over,? or something a bird has dropped?- or some new weed that has popped up?

Rabbits usually hunch when in pain for some reason.

If it happens again in the next few weeks I would take her in for a check.

The first thought when rabbits won't eat is dental problems and a rabbit-savvy vet could tell you if this is the case or not.

(If you think she has wind I think they gentle rub their tummy and then put them on a warm towel but do check that on other threads on here.)

sue:wave:

All good advice. I have a bunny that's prone to wind/gut stasis and she gets a range of meds to help her recover. :) Glad your wee girl seems to be OK this time but don't underestimate how much harm a tummy ache can do for a bunny.

Back