• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet nose and occasional sneezes

carolineclair

Warren Scout
I noticed maples nose , well the top parts of her lips where it splits down (does that make sense!?) has been wet the past few days. She normally drank out a bowl so I removed the bowl and put a bottle back but it's still a bit wet. She licks and sucks on everything so I don't know if that's why it's wet or if it's actually from her nose. I've spent about 5 he's today watching her closely, she's not had any discharge and it's not like her nose is running because I don't see anything coming down from her nasal passages.

As well as this she is doing occasional sneezes, more just if you breathed down heavily through your nose rather than a noisy sneeze. I did wonder if this was my new carpets as they're still shedding a bit but coupled with the wet nose I now don't know. As I wrote this out I guess I'm answering my own question as the only way to work out if it's a or b is to go to the vet! She's in perfectly good health otherwise, eating drinking pooping and running around.

From what I've read pasturella means theyhave mucus from nose or eyes which I don't see. Do u think she could just have a cold or allergies?!

Isn't sniffles really dangerous? I've been doing searches but I can't really work out if it's something like a cold or a serious infection but I did just find a post about rabbits with anuffles being put down now I'm scared!!

It can lead to lower respiratory infection if not treated quickly. It may not be snuffles but the vet should be able to give you a diagnosis. I've had two rabbits with snuffles. Merlin had daily injections and does not show any signs now.

Not clued up about snuffles....sorry...but did want to mention that making sure th carpet is not got chemicals or strong smells etc and also dont use sawdust as the phenols can cause respiratory problems too...just thought it may be worth mentioning in case you used them.;) id prob. still leave a bowl of water for her if she is used to it...but get her check over at the vets for snuffles in case.;)

Thanks guys, were goin to the vets tomorrow morning so will see what they think, the carpet is quite fluffy and her favorite place seems to be under the back part of my bed where I imagine it's quite dusty!!! But coupled with the wet nose we will see what they say, thanks c

Good luck!

If it's an infection they will probably start you off on Baytril and if there's no improvement in a week or two you can move on to injectable antibiotics like depocillin which are much stronger. For respiratory infections you need quite a long course of antibiotics and the course should continue for at least a week after the symptoms disappear. :wave:

You get more problems with short courses of antibiotics or when you stop and start the treatment as the bacteria builds up a resistance.

Of course I've come home from work to a dry nose and not a sneeze to be heard!! Still taking her tomorrow so they can check up her nose teeth etc but sods law there will prob be nothing for them to see now!!

Back