• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much food should a giant bunny have per day?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
It is looking very likely that I will be acquiring a giant bunny in the near future :D I currently only have mini lops, so there will obviously be a huge difference in the amount they eat... My mini lops have an eggcup full of pellets each per day. Does anyone know how much is recommended for a giant? :wave:

It will depend on the size of the giant, and the amount of exercise they get, but my giants (both 7kg+) have aroung half a teacup of pellets each per day, and between them have half apple, 1 carrot, 2 chopped celery, 5 large green leaves and then a variety of either spinach, coriander, parsley or whatever greens are on offer on the market. hey both a nice healthy weight.
They have the equivelent of 2 hours free range time in the garden, and permanent access to their enclosure and shed.

It will depend on the size of the giant, and the amount of exercise they get, but my giants (both 7kg+) have aroung half a teacup of pellets each per day, and between them have half apple, 1 carrot, 2 chopped celery, 5 large green leaves and then a variety of either spinach, coriander, parsley or whatever greens are on offer on the market. hey both a nice healthy weight.
They have the equivelent of 2 hours free range time in the garden, and permanent access to their enclosure and shed.

Thank you :wave: that helps a lot :D

If I fed mine an egg cup a day then they wouldn't make a month. :(

No matter how much hay they eat they cannot survive on that, even with all the greens they get a day. I give them about three mugs full a day (more in the winter) between two of them. Less for Matilda.

Even with that I still find it incredibly hard to keep any weight on Eddie and have to supplement him with Barley rings. River and Matilda seem to keep good condition without.

I'd never feed a giant an eggcup full, but that's only from my experience. I've never had any that would be able to cope. They are very lazy buns, and don't move that much :)lol::roll:), but just need more food to live than the little buns.

Are your bunnies giants? Have you misread my post? My two are tiny mini lops, it is them that get an eggcup full :wave: I know that giants will need a lot more, I was just asking how much more! :)

If I fed mine an egg cup a day then they wouldn't make a month. :(

No matter how much hay they eat they cannot survive on that, even with all the greens they get a day. I give them about three mugs full a day (more in the winter) between two of them. Less for Matilda.

Even with that I still find it incredibly hard to keep any weight on Eddie and have to supplement him with Barley rings. River and Matilda seem to keep good condition without.

I'd never feed a giant an eggcup full, but that's only from my experience. I've never had any that would be able to cope. They are very lazy buns, and don't move that much :)lol::roll:), but just need more food to live than the little buns.

Are your bunnies giants? Have you misread my post? My two are tiny mini lops, it is them that get an eggcup full :wave: I know that giants will need a lot more, I was just asking how much more! :)

Yes, they're giants.

Sorry, I was just talking about giant breeds. I know most smaller buns thrive on an egg cup of food. :wave:

Our 2 giants are around 6/7kg each. They get 3 large handfuls of pellets between them on a morning, and then on an evening they have a huge dog bowl full of veg, and i mean huge. They probably have 5 spring green leaves, 2 savoy cabbage leaves, 3 sticks of celery, a carrot and lollo rosso daily then we alternate with a mixture of parsley, mint, basil, spinach, cucumber, wild rocket, broccoli, cauli leaves, red/yellow pepper. They do sometimes have a whole small banana between them :oops: and often have huge handfuls of fresh grass daily.

I do also agree, our giants are much lazier than our other rabbits :)

Someone once asked how much we gave our bunnies and I said about a eggcupful of pellets per bunny twice a day (this was for small-medium buns in addition to free range grazing on a variety of greenstuffs including grass in daylight hours and access to grass and hay 24/7 plus veg given in the evening).

Somehow like Chinese whispers, this has become the eggcup rule and people are giving their buns one eggcupful or even half !!! an eggcupful a day:cry::cry:

One girls bunny nearly died of malnutrition/stasis because of this:cry:

please PLEASE give your giant bunnies much more than this.

Just like people- some bunnies have a faster metabolism and need more pellets. Eggcups are different sizes. Bunnies are different sizes. Cold weather means buns need more energy to keep warm so some extra pellets then won't hurt.

Please everyone- use your common sense- if your bunnies are considered within a normal weight range by your vet then you do not need to reduce their pellets!
If they are hungry -give them a bit more- if they start getting a sticky bum or the vet says they weigh too much then go back to the original amount.

sue:wave:

I read with interest. Not theat Ive been keeping artie on a starvation diet, but did wonder if I could up his pellets a bit, as sometimes he feels a bit boney, esp now he is in full moult...Off to give then a few more :love:

As I said to someone earlier in the thread, it is my mini lops who get an eggcup each, please don't think I would only give that to a giant!! The point of this thread is HOW MUCH more to give a giant. :wave:

Someone once asked how much we gave our bunnies and I said about a eggcupful of pellets per bunny twice a day (this was for small-medium buns in addition to free range grazing on a variety of greenstuffs including grass in daylight hours and access to grass and hay 24/7 plus veg given in the evening).

Somehow like Chinese whispers, this has become the eggcup rule and people are giving their buns one eggcupful or even half !!! an eggcupful a day:cry::cry:

One girls bunny nearly died of malnutrition/stasis because of this:cry:

please PLEASE give your giant bunnies much more than this.

Just like people- some bunnies have a faster metabolism and need more pellets. Eggcups are different sizes. Bunnies are different sizes. Cold weather means buns need more energy to keep warm so some extra pellets then won't hurt.

Please everyone- use your common sense- if your bunnies are considered within a normal weight range by your vet then you do not need to reduce their pellets!
If they are hungry -give them a bit more- if they start getting a sticky bum or the vet says they weigh too much then go back to the original amount.

sue:wave:

As I said to someone earlier in the thread, it is my mini lops who get an eggcup each, please don't think I would only give that to a giant!! The point of this thread is HOW MUCH more to give a giant. :wave:

I don't think anyone thinks your mini lops aren't getting enough. As you asked about giants specifically I think I'm not the only one who answered "just" for giants. :wave:

This thread is very helpful.....thank you :wave:

I unexpectedly took on Bentley, my first giant bunny, several weeks ago. He's 20 weeks old now so still growing. He's steadily putting on weight and feels a nice size, not boney or anything. I've been trying to use my own judgement with the amount I give him and I think I'm just about getting it right. After reading this thread, I think I could increase his veg slightly though. :)

Dylan gets, 2 and a half handfuls of pellets and then another handful at night when he goes to bed.

Hi,

I'm not an expert but my Daisy is 6.5kg and she gets 70grams of pellets a day, 35 for brekkie and 35 before bed. She also gets veg 3 times a day, plus unlimited hay and some plantain/leaves and a fenugreek crunchie a day. She still acts like she is starving though. The vet says that daisys weight is fine, even though she is the laziest bun ever!

This is Daisy with last nights dinner

daisydinner.jpg

I give my Frenchie about 2 (big) shot glasses full of SS pellets in the morning and she shares a huge dinner of fresh veggies/herbs with my other bun at night :) and obv. they get treats too, fenugreek's etc..

Daisy looks so much like my first bunny Jessie!! :love::love::love::love::love:

Hi,

I'm not an expert but my Daisy is 6.5kg and she gets 70grams of pellets a day, 35 for brekkie and 35 before bed. She also gets veg 3 times a day, plus unlimited hay and some plantain/leaves and a fenugreek crunchie a day. She still acts like she is starving though. The vet says that daisys weight is fine, even though she is the laziest bun ever!

This is Daisy with last nights dinner

daisydinner.jpg

Back