• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pairing a lop with a dwarf lop advice

jayandlisa

New Kit
Hi,

We are first time users so apologies if this Q has been asked in a previous thread!

We have a 2 and a half year old male lop who is a house rabbit. He is fully house trained and very docile (because he has been neutered). Recently, we have been considering getting a doe for companionship and are wondering whether a dwarf lop would be appropriate? Barney is quite a large bunny, but needs a girlfriend!

We are not keen to get another larger rabbit due to the high volume of fluff in the house. However, any new bunny we got would also be a house rabbit.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi there, welcome to RU :)

It's great you want to get your bunny a bunny friend. :)

A good thing to do might be to let your bunny pick his friend, so that you know they will bond. Often going to rescues where they spay/neuter and vaccinate their buns is a good place to start because often they will help your bunny find the perfect friend.

Re:

Many thanks.

Barney is a rescue rabbit himself, so we'd always look at rescue centres. Not sure how easy it would be to let him pick his own partner, but we'll have a word with our local centre and see what they say, I expect it's cropped up for them before.

We were just wondering it it was unwise to pair one rabbit with another of a different breed? I guess he might tell us!

Hiya and welcome! :wave: It's great you are considering a friend

What do you mean by lop? There's lots of different types, and dwarf lops really aren't small bunnies as their names suggest, they are medium sized. :)

As for breeds and sizes, I think any bunnies can be pair up really. I have 2 dwarf lops (or around that size, I think they are crosses somewhere) and just bonded a Netherland Dwarf in to them. There is a big size difference between them and him, but no problems so far...

Jura, Islay and Arran by Niseag, on Flickr

And good for you going to a rescue! :D

We were just wondering it it was unwise to pair one rabbit with another of a different breed? I guess he might tell us!

Breed doesn't tend to matter, personality is much more of a factor when pairing bunnies. People often look for a partner that is close in size to their bunny, but size really doesn't matter either and lots of people on here have little/large pairings too. :)

I completely agree that breed doesn't matter at all, nor does age, or size, or colour, or even gender, just personality and if those particular bunnies can get on or not :)

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice, good for peace of mind! We'll keep checking the local rescue centres for a possible companion :)

My beautiful baby bunny Adelle is a french/german lop cross (so fairly huge) and she's now very happily and recently bonded with a very gorgeous little dwarf lop. Size doesn't matter, it's just a matter of love.

Back