• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food diary of your rabbit :)

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I'm wondering if I feed the right amount of fruit and veg. Wondering if you lot could do a 'food diary' thread to show what you feed yours?

If you could make a post with 'Monday, Tuesday' etc, with what you fed on each day that'd be fab, and just update it rather than posting a new one each time? Also if you feed the same or roughly the same each day that would be great to know too :)

Thanks a lot, would really help.

P.S you may have seen this thread before, I posted it just before RU went down for a week or so a few months ago? But it never really took off then, so re-doing it now :) x

routine:

water in bottles and bowls available 24/7
various hays, mixed, available 24/7 -plain cheap hay in trays and beds, fancier hays in hay baskets and large manger (its a wire wall basket meant for flowers).

breakfast - before 6am
small portion of nuggets (teaspoon each)
generous portion of spring greens, cabbage, pak choi whatever
one treat

supper - after 6pm
small portion of nuggets (teaspoon each)
generous portion of spring greens, savoy cabbage, pak choi, curly kale, herbs (small pot each and they always have extras eg some curly kale or fine beans on herb days)

bedtime
one goodnight treat

extra:
occasional slice of carrot or handful of fine beans, dandelion leaves or grass or
a few oat nuggets - less than once a month they might have an apple sliced if there is nothing else in the house...

vet says 'these rabbits are in amazing condition' :)

Last edited:
Probably far too much but my 11 get the same every day, once a day and as much as possible at a similar time. They occasionally get a few treats/ leaves/ branches whatever in the morning if it is my long work day and they obviously always get a top up of fresh hay and water in the morning and evening.
I feed them about 5pm and they get a selection of: Spring Greens (about half an average leaf per bun)
Curly kale - small handful per cage
Herbs - few sprigs each
Cabbage - quarter of a leaf
Carrot - one - two pieces per bun (small, size of a 1p piece)
Apple - same as carrot
Pellets - eggcup per bun.
Occasionally something is substituted for broccoli, cauli leaves, spinach, celery or any bunny friendly off cuts. They are all on concrete and though they have runs on grass, they only go out when I am there to supervise/ not home late to get them in before dark so they don't graze as much. Their set ups are all larger than average so runs are for a change of scenery. I pick grass, dandelions etc occasionally (though not often enough) as a snack or if I am low on herbs etc. I spend about £20 a week on veg for them all.
Hope this helps....

morning (between 6am and 8am)

clean litter tray (27litre underbed storage box) heaped high with hay
fresh water
small handful of pellets.

afternoon (about 4pm)

top up of hay.

evening (7:30pm)
plate full of veg - today >>> spinach, home grown kale, home grown cabbage, few bramble leaves, few hawthorn branches, couple of baby tomatoes

bedtime (11pm)
top up of hay
top up of water

same routine everyday, veg varies weekly depending on what supermarket we visit and what they have available.

My buns have timothy hay throughout the day/night which is replaced when needed.

At 7.30am Buster gets about an egg cupful of pellets and Lola gets a table spoon (she's still a bit over weight) along with a small handful of rocket each.

Then in the evening when im cooking i will often give them some peelings/cauli leaves/anything thats im preparing really. This can be carrot peelings (2-3 strips/peelings each normally), cauliflower leaves, broccili leaves/stalks, parsnip peels, spinach, etc

And then they normally get a treat each a day (mini alfalfa bale or a carrot biscuit)

My buns are free range
They are let out in the morning and have access to grass,herbs and veg,water and hay.
Bed time they get a tiny bit of rabbit mix,as Honey is rather podgey,hay and plants Ive collected through out the day while doggie walking

Back