• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been landed with a HUGE French Lop- UD: More pics post 111, 21st July

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
A friend of mine came round to my house today with a large French Lop called Bramble. Her friend (who I don't know) said she had developed allergies and couldn't keep it anymore. My friend has taken it and decided to bring him here as she can't keep him either.

Now, he's about 5kg and HUGE... So huge that I can barely lift him. He has a severely watery left eye (although, apparently he's just had a myxi jab and the vet didn't say anything about it), his fur underneath has been wet all day. Also looked in his ears and the left ear has quite a bit of wax in it.

He's so timid that he's put his head in a corner all afternoon.

Right now, he's in my bathroom with a litter tray and some water. I don't even know what he's ever been fed on, although he did come in a box just full of straw - which happened to be tightly wrapped round one leg.

What do I do??? I have zero experience with French Lops, never even seen one tbh. The only accomodation I have is either my bathroom or I can fashion a base from some NIC cubes and put it in my bedroom. I have Sammy (the Greyhound) downstairs so having him in the bathroom is freaking me out a bit.

All my buns are outside and I'm guessing as he's had a myxi jab in Feb I don't have to worry about that...

I know a vets trip is going to have to be in order for tomorrow but any idea what I can expect with the was and watery eye?

Ahhh, so confused. I have zero idea what to do. The poor bun won't even look at me he's so terrified!

Last edited:
OMG poor bun :( he must wonder what's going on :( I'm sorry I don't have advice for you, but good luck, I hope you can sort something out for him :(

Ah poor bun,care would be the same as smaller buns but more food and a bigger living area,no idea on eye sorry,wet underneath isnt good unless he is so scared he is sitting in his wee :( ,will you be keeping him? I have two british giants that have a walk in dog run,big bunnies are lovely :D

Poor bun. :(
He's lucky to have ended up with you though. They eye might be a teeth issue rather than allergies. :? Can you slowly introduce him to the dog and have him free range for a bit? Might not be a good idea if he's very scared. Or have you got a spare shed. He's going to need a lot of room. :?

Can you post pictures. I love French lops. :love:

(I wish I could have him)

Not 100% sure on introducing to the dog - Sammy is an ex-racing Greyhound! Lol. And, although she's absolutely fine with the cats, she goes a teeny bit scatty around the outside buns. Mind you, I guess this bun is larger than my cat, so who knows?

As for the eye, apparently it's always been like that but I don't think he's ever been fed on hay tbh. I thought it was a tooth problem when I first saw him, especially from what I've read about on here before!

His ear is still worrying as the only buns I've ever had with waxy ears were those with mites and this little man has been kept on a farm :/

Tbh, apart from his eye and waxy ears he seems in good condition and apparently he's had a double hutch and an attatched run so I don't think he's been badly looked after. Apparently this woman got the bun for her 4 year old daughter from a breeder and it's due to her allergies and the fact he's so timid that they can't keep him :/ I don't know...

He is a lovely bun and he has my bathroom for the moment but as for keeping him, I have no idea! Fiddlesticks was meant to be being bonded with a Honeybunnies bun in a few weeks time! I've also just ordered a new 6ft hutch with attatched 6ft x 4ft run from Happy Hutch so all money has gone on that :/

Blah...

See if he'll eat hay.
I would say he might need a dental, but if he's eating hay he might not need another one again. Straw will keep his teeth short so if he's been eating that you might be okay. But he wouldn't have been getting the nutrients he needs from hay so it's possible that a bad diet has made him a little under the weather which would make him prone to mites. Hopefully good diet and a little love is all he needs and I hope he doesn't need a dental!

You'll have to keep us updated.

Oh bless him. I'm always surprised when people give a bun away and they don't think to offer their housing too. Even if it's not great it would at least give the bun a base until something better can be found :(

Anyway, grumbles aside, it's great he's found his way to you even if it's something of a shock for both you and him! Fingers crossed that his vet check is positive and that his eye issue isn't serious. Maybe it would be better for him to have a temp NIC cube base if you have to use the bathroom to go to the loo/wash, as I guess that might scare him if he's so timid...? Or, I wonder if it might help to put a large box in the bathroom for him too, so he has a safe haven to retreat to while he's settling in. Just an idea.

Does he have a name yet? :D

Please ensure you quarantine him away from yours heavily. Other than that, i have absolutely no advice but also did think teeth issues. Each moment at a time right now, I guess.

poor bunny. vet tomorrow? somewhere to hide tonight. if he's sitting nose to corner he might be feeling ill, not just timid.

I think it's lovely that you have taken him in even if it is only temporary (though you may find you don't want to part with him...). Good luck. I would give him lots of hay and assume he has been fed on mix as that is what most people feed buns. I think other than larger spaces and quantities they are the same as an average sized bun? Poo fellow must be so confused and scared. Lots of gentle tlc and quiet. As for the doggie, I reckon she would probably be ok as they are not quite so small and 'skittish' as average buns. But perhaps wait until he is less timid/ scared. I am sure you will be able to gauge the situation once everyone and thing is more settled! Well done again.

This is what Bramble does everytime you try to talk to him :cry:

A99ADC45-orig.jpg

And this... :cry:

A179FB39-orig.jpg

But, he can be a teeny bit nosey when he finds the courage to be!

42B65545-orig.jpg

Is dis mah noo toysie?

3690A7C0-orig.jpg

Mah noo food bowl!

5CBDABC2-orig.jpg

Mah noo bed!

495D0E72-orig.jpg

Ma noo toilet (buts I don't know how to uses it!)

94BDC716-orig.jpg

Last edited:
Went out for a few hours (to pick up some snake-y food) and came home to Bramble having eaten nothing :( No poops either but a HUGE wee on the floor.

Was a bit scared about feeding as I don't know his past but since he's not touched the hay and there's no poops, I've popped in a tiny bit of cabbage, pellets and broccoli. He did start munching away as soon as he saw it all so fingers crossed we have poops soon!!!!!!!!

Back