• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milly

katie85

Young Bun
My Milly is going in to be neutered tomorrow, monty is going with her for support. I'm so worried about her, any tips or advice for what to do when she comes home?

Keep her on a soft surface such as a blanket, keep her warm, get lots of treats in to keep her eating, make sure she gets pain relief from the vets

:wave: my Miley was spayed just on Friday too, i was petrified.. i got barely any sleep the night before but she is just fine so i'm sure Milly will be too so don't panick :) keep her indoors for the first few days and make sure she stays warm, keep her in a confined space where she can't do too much jumping around and make sure she has access to her favourite treats and water, preferably in bowls so she doesn't have to reach up... if Milly is anything like Miley she will be so woozy she'll only really eat if she's being hand fed/the food is right under her nose :lol: also keep her on fleeces and blankets (not hay/straw as this could irritate the wound) and generally keep an eye on her as you normally would, the vets should syringe feed her and make sure she's passing feeces before they let her home, but continue to make sure she's still eating, she probably won't eat much at all but don't be alarmed, as long as she's eating and passing something this is most important! it says in my letter from the vet that if nothing has been eaten in the first 24 hours contact the vet immediately. also i've been checking Mileys wound a few times a day to make sure she hasn't been picking at it while i'm not looking! if it starts coming apart/bleeding contact your vet asap. Miley had to stay at the vets overnight as her temp was a little low and she wasn't eating and pooping straight away.. so don't be alarmed if they do this for Milly too. She should be recovered and back to normal in 48 hours. vibes for Milly, hope it goes well, keep us updated :D xxxxx

:love:

Thank you. Do you think it's a good idea for monty to be with her?

yeah it helps her feel more at ease. My vet encouraged me to take her waterbowl, and packed lunch and familar things like a toy or blanket too. it aids with recovery.

Also get her fav things in to encourage eating, and give her luke warm water from a bowl to encourage drinking. It works, I don't know why but it does!

Hope all goes well today :)

If you can, can you send her own litter tray (with her smell on) with her? Some of my buns will only poop in their own litter trays, so if they go without they hold the poops in at the vets, and it delays them getting home.

Good luck, Milly x

She came home at 6 today, she's eating quite well just not sure how to give her pain relief

Were you giving liquid pain relief to syringe into her mouth?

If there is someone else who can hold her whilst you syringe then it might be easier if you've not done it before.

Glad she is safely home :)

Awww pleased to hear Milly is home, hope you are getting on okay giving her her pain relief. I find it best to hold bunnies like a baby, cradled in your arms to syringe feed. Aim for the side of her mouth, cause there is a little gap in her teeth!

She seems to be much better today moving around a lot! I have put her medication in her food and she eats it all :)

Back