• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny playdates??

MillyLop

Warren Scout
our friends who live pretty much next door are going to get a male bunny :) i was wondering as Miley doesn't really have any contact with other buns since her sister Lily passed, would it be ok for their bun to visit Miley occasionally under our supervision? (she was spayed on Friday :thumb:) i hope this question doesn't make me look silly :oops: i just think it might me nice for Miley to have some bunny playdates so she can keep up her bunny social skills :lol: i assume that they will get a young bun, and Miley is 2 years and approx 3 months. does age matter? breed? the regularity of visits? has anyone done this before is it a good idea?

:wave:

It's not a good idea and not recommended at all. It's not of any benefit to the bunnies involved and holds many risks.

Would you consider getting Miley her own friend to be properly bonded with?

It's not a good idea and not recommended at all. It's not of any benefit to the bunnies involved and holds many risks.

Would you consider getting Miley her own friend to be properly bonded with?

thanks for this :D i wouldn't have wanted to go ahead and do it without knowing if it was safe first. perhaps in the future we could rescue a bun to bond with miley, but that would involve putting her back outside to live, and right now we like having her indoors with us and she seems very happy :)

again thanks for the reply, hope i didn't come across naive (still a new first time owner) :oops::oops:

Any introductions between buns need to be done on totally neutral territory which is a confined place, the problem with playdating is that you would need each time to ensure that each time you put them together that the space was neutral.

It is unlikely that they will remember each other from previous meetings which would mean that this times would be quite stressful to the bun.

When rabbits are stressed this can affect their autoimmune system making them more liable to infections and can make them more liable to gastrointestinal dysfuntions including stasis.

It is not something that I would recommend.

thanks for this :D i wouldn't have wanted to go ahead and do it without knowing if it was safe first. perhaps in the future we could rescue a bun to bond with miley, but that would involve putting her back outside to live, and right now we like having her indoors with us and she seems very happy :)

again thanks for the reply, hope i didn't come across naive (still a new first time owner) :oops::oops:

Don't worry. It's FAR better to ask questions than just go ahead and do. You've asked a question, and taken the advice, and that's all you can do :)

Why is it that having a friend would mean they would have to go outside?

Any introductions between buns need to be done on totally neutral territory which is a confined place, the problem with playdating is that you would need each time to ensure that each time you put them together that the space was neutral.

It is unlikely that they will remember each other from previous meetings which would mean that this times would be quite stressful to the bun.

When rabbits are stressed this can affect their autoimmune system making them more liable to infections and can make them more liable to gastrointestinal dysfuntions including stasis.

It is not something that I would recommend.

thanks for the info! neutral space would be an issue, and i would hate for Miley to get stressed or harmed in any way.. so we know it's a definate no no :thumb: so if our friends bring up the idea we now know what to say :D

Don't worry. It's FAR better to ask questions than just go ahead and do. You've asked a question, and taken the advice, and that's all you can do :)

Why is it that having a friend would mean they would have to go outside?

space is a real issue in our house, Mileys current set up is she has a smallish cage where she eats, drinks and poops, occasionally rests, and because the cage is on the smaller side she free ranges our living room 24/7... she is an absolute angel, doesn't destroy our things, has only had a few accidents so yes it's a breeze, but bringing in a new bunny that could do the opposite i couldn't handle :oops: plus i don't feel that the cage is big enough for them both to eat and drink out of at the same time if they wanted to... and i want to devote all my time to Miley, but if in the future we see her seeming lonely we will definately consider rescueing a bun for her to play happy families with :D but right now she seems very content being the only one getting all our attention for a change :lol:

Back