• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth problem

Gem 333

Warren Scout
Hi,

I had Dylon at the vets on Thursday as he had stopped eating his hay and Science selective pellets (very unlike him!) and his poops were squidgy. The only thing he would eat was grass trimmed from the garden, herbs etc. They took him in for dental surgery on Friday and he came round ok. They said his teeth werent too bad but there were a few sharp bits and his toungue was slightly inflamed from them wearing.

He came round ok, though has been slightly lazier than usual since the Anaesthetic, and the vet said I could feed him normally straight away.

He hasn't touched a pellet or hay since then, and again, all he will eat is herbs and grass. Im sure he does want to eat harder things, I went to give him bit of a munchy stick, he took it from me, but then put it down as soon as he realised it was harder.

I thought the relief would be pretty much instant...can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi,

I had Dylon at the vets on Thursday as he had stopped eating his hay and Science selective pellets (very unlike him!) and his poops were squidgy. The only thing he would eat was grass trimmed from the garden, herbs etc. They took him in for dental surgery on Friday and he came round ok. They said his teeth werent too bad but there were a few sharp bits and his toungue was slightly inflamed from them wearing.

He came round ok, though has been slightly lazier than usual since the Anaesthetic, and the vet said I could feed him normally straight away.

He hasn't touched a pellet or hay since then, and again, all he will eat is herbs and grass. Im sure he does want to eat harder things, I went to give him bit of a munchy stick, he took it from me, but then put it down as soon as he realised it was harder.

I thought the relief would be pretty much instant...can anyone help?

Thanks

His tongue will still be sore even though the sharp teeth have now been burred down. So he should have been prescribed a non steroidal anti inflammatory analgesic (eg Metacam) for a few days. Imagine trying to eat if you had a nasty sore tongue.

You need to request some analgesia from the Vet and you also need to syringe feed him to supplement what he is eating for himself. He may also need some medication to improve his gut motility.

So my advice is to contact your Vet again

Good luck.

Has he had any pain relief since he came home? It could be that he's still a little sore, especially if his tongue is affected too.

Thanks,

No pain relief no - I will get onto the vet first thing tomorrow. i have fibreplex, so i will feed him that as directed too.

Cant wait to have him back to his normal self, will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

No pain relief no - I will get onto the vet first thing tomorrow. i have fibreplex, so i will feed him that as directed too.

Cant wait to have him back to his normal self, will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.

Is there any way you could contact a Vet today as having a sore mouth is not nice and 24 hours more without pain relief is a long time for a Rabbit.

It took pebbles a while to start eating properly, and he was on a 12 day course of anti-inflammatory and had additional pain relief. Pebbles would only eat a few pellets, and soft weeds to start with. Then after a month he started nibbling a little grass. It has taken him a few months to finally attempts to eat hay.

However, reducing down pebbles pellets didn't make him eat more hay, and his teeth started to get worse again, so I had to up the pellets as his weight dropped really low. So be careful if you are advised to cut pellets out to encourage hay consumption to wear down teeth - it doesn't always work!

Back