• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT are cherries okay?

I don't think they're meant to be fed but I doubt one would cause a problem... I've heard of people feeding them so can't be like severly dangerous :?

I know Cherry trees are poisonous and would suspect the same of cherries, given that pipped/stoned fruit shouldn't be eaten, but I don't know for sure.

Well Apache took one out of my musli the other day and he's still fine :)

I don't think they're toxic, it's more that, as fruit, they should be an occasional treat rather than a regular food.

As far as I'm aware the poison in stone fruit is contained in the stones and the wood, rather than the fruit itself. That's why humans can eat apricots, peaches etc but it's not recomended to eat the kernels of the stones.

Hope she's okay. :(
She'd just started to get back to 'normal' after I was worried about her. Even though Grim has all his health problems she's the one I have to watch like a hawk. Love her to bits. She's eaten all sorts in the past like cheese. She has an iron stomach. Just as long as it's not poisonous. :(

"Stone fruits of the genus Prunus typically contain poisonous hydrocyanic (prussic) acid (HCN) in the pits and foliage. Since the poisonous cyanide is combined with one or more sugars, these molecules are referred to as cyanogenetic glucosides. If you crush the leaves of a stone fruit tree, such as a cherry or apricot, you can smell the faint, almond-like odor of cyanide."

Pits and foliage only. Taken from this link.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph17.htm

If you do a google search for "cyanide in stone fruit" (but without the quote marks) you will get twelvety more links, all stating that drupes contain poison in the pits, not the fruit.

Last edited:
We feed cherries as a treat to Julie and have in the past to other rabbits but never with the pit. They are safe but are a fruit with sugar so not too many. It shouldn't hurt him.

"Stone fruits of the genus Prunus typically contain poisonous hydrocyanic (prussic) acid (HCN) in the pits and foliage. Since the poisonous cyanide is combined with one or more sugars, these molecules are referred to as cyanogenetic glucosides. If you crush the leaves of a stone fruit tree, such as a cherry or apricot, you can smell the faint, almond-like odor of cyanide."

Pits and foliage only. Taken from this link.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph17.htm

If you do a google search for "cyanide in stone fruit" (but without the quote marks) you will get twelvety more links, all stating that drupes contain poison in the pits, not the fruit.

Thanks. She didn't eat the pip.
He said he picked them all up then I saw Smoo under chair chewing something. The pip was warm on the floor under her.
Dammit he practically destroyed my house today including knocking a really special book on the floor that was passed to my dad from his dad and then to me. Just kept on knocking things over.

We feed cherries as a treat to Julie and have in the past to other rabbits but never with the pit. They are safe but are a fruit with sugar so not too many. It shouldn't hurt him.

Ah, thank you so much. So your rabbits have eaten them and been fine. Then I'm sure Smoo will be too. *breathes out*

Thanks. She didn't eat the pip.
He said he picked them all up then I saw Smoo under chair chewing something. The pip was warm on the floor under her.
Dammit he practically destroyed my house today including knocking a really special book on the floor that was passed to my dad from his dad and then to me. Just kept on knocking things over.

As long as the pip wasn't broken to reveal the centre there won't be a problem. Apache pilfered a plum stoned the other day and i was completely freaking out - he ran away and i couldn't get it off him - luckily when he'd sucked all the plum fragments off it, he spat it out!

Remember that cyanide smells of almonds....almonds are in the same genus (Prunus) as cherries and plums. Almonds are the kernel of the nut, they're not the actual fruit.

The chinnies have been eating whole cherries for 8 years. :wave:

I know they are not bunnies, but any effects would be the same.

Its the inside, leaves and branches that is dangerous. Not the flesh.

Chinny savvy vets knows they have the odd cherry. No problem, unless they had the inside.

Thanks everyone. I'd be a wreck without RU. :wave:

Glad you feel better. Been trying to find this list I have from the vets, absolutely sure cherries are fine.

Doubly sure as The Duchess had a thread or commented that with pip fruits, such as cherries, plums and apricots, bunnies cannot have the leaves or branches but fruit fine.

Smoo is one very naughty bunny.

Back