• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will a buck line his litter tray with fur??? U/D pics post 9

helen01

Warren Veteran
Just gone to put more hay in Snowys litter tray and he has put his own fur in it:shock: Is this normal???

He came to us as a male....can someone tell me how to check his sex...just in case:shock::shock: please?

Last edited:
Just had a look at Snowy and I cannot find anything that indicates he is a he (if you get my drift) does anyone have any good pics of what I should be looking for?

If she/he is lining the litter tray is it likely that she/he could be having babies? Snowy is sat on my knee ans feels way too thin to be having babies:shock:

Do you mean he's made a nest? Are you sure he just isn't moulting or losing fur?

Bucks shouldn't pluck fur to make a nest, so you're wise to double check the sex. Turn him over and check for testicles...they should look like pink hairless balls either wide of his genitals. You could even try pressing either side of his 'bits' to see whether a penis comes out.

He's not living with other rabbits is he?

If she/he is lining the litter tray is it likely that she/he could be having babies? Snowy is sat on my knee ans feels way too thin to be having babies:shock:

If he/she hasn't been near other rabbits for over 4 weeks, then it would be impossible for him/her to have babies, and is probably just a phantom pregnancy 'he' turns out to be a girl

I cannot see any testicles and I googled it...he looks like a she to me:oops::oops: Theres fur in the litter tray, quite a lot of it:shock:

Snowy hasnt met Poppy yet as I only got him/her on Monday. 'He' came in as a rescue to P@H. Should I bring him/her inside just in case? Gosh this is all we need...

I will go and take a pic of the litter tray and see what you think:wave:

If he/she hasn't been near other rabbits for over 4 weeks, then it would be impossible for him/her to have babies, and is probably just a phantom pregnancy 'he' turns out to be a girl

He came in with a pink pig as he was lonely...so whether that indicates he/she had been with another rabbit previously I'm not sure.

I'd say not to worry too much, many bunnies have a phantom pregnancy when they move homes and go thruogh that period of adjustment.

That said, provide ample amounts of hay and don't remove the nest. Keep vigilant 'just in case'. Also, keep him/her separate until 35 days after you got her, so you know there is absolutely no risk of babies.

S/he might just be hormonally frustrated.

I'd say not to worry too much, many bunnies have a phantom pregnancy when they move homes and go thruogh that period of adjustment.

That said, provide ample amounts of hay and don't remove the nest. Keep vigilant 'just in case'. Also, keep him/her separate until 35 days after you got her, so you know there is absolutely no risk of babies.

S/he might just be hormonally frustrated.

S/he is humping a lot. I have him/her booked in for a neuter on Wednesday...do you think I should leave it just in case?

I went out to take pics and cleaned the nest out (so sorry...I did it before I had read it) but at least the litter tray is clean, she/he had also put a lot of food in the nest so my gut feeling is it is a 'nest'.

Should I bring Snowy inside or will he/she be okay outside?

Heres the litter tray does it look like a nest?

nest002.jpg
nest001.jpg

keep the appointment, but tell the vet what has happened, and ask the vet to verify sex, and check for pregnancy.

I agree with this. I have seen many nests and some don't have any furt at all so I wouldn't base whether or not it is genuine on the amount of fur, but it doesn't look very nest like in terms of hay, so I would expect that if a bunny has gotten as far as fur pulling, then building a nest with hay would come before that, so I would hope too, that it is a phantom.

Thank you, I will keep Wednesdays appointment and get him/her speyed/neutered unless there's any more developments or the vet thinks Snowy is a she and is pregnant. Do I sound horrible if I say I hope she/he isnt?

What a releif...I went to check on Snowy this morning...not quite sure what to expect:oops: No more nesting:p:p:p Looks like it was maybe hormonal.

I will keep his/her appointment for Wednesday and get him neutered/speyed as long as theres no other complications:D

i caught bisc making what looked like a nest once! :shock: i opened the shed door and he had loads of fur in his mouth and looked at me like 'oops, she's caught me!' :lol: he only did it that time though. :)

i caught bisc making what looked like a nest once! :shock: i opened the shed door and he had loads of fur in his mouth and looked at me like 'oops, she's caught me!' :lol: he only did it that time though. :)

Ooh that sounds promising...Snowy may still be a boy then??:p:p

could well be ;) :)

Thank you...you have made my day:p:p:p Although I would do it...I really dont want two bunnies in two set ups....I really want to bond Poppy and Snowy in the school hols while I'm off work:p (also the thought of babies....:shock::shock::shock: lol)

Back