• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run help!

:wave: Hi guys

We're just sorting a new pen for my bunnies. Back at my parents, they had a run attached to a summerhouse on solid concrete. This was quite a big job and my dad isnt willing to do this again.

First of all, we have 4 buns, a mini lop, 2 dwarf lops, and a lop (a little bigger than the dwarf). They have a 8ft by 6ft summerhouse with a cage off the floor, so they use the floor space as well as the extra cagwe space, and a level that gives them around 6ft by 4ft space. We are planning on attaching a permanent avairy style pen, by moving the summerhouse to a different part of the garden to give them more space, a prospect my dad is not looking forward to, as it may involve dismantling the whole thing:shock:

The area they will have for the pen will be 18ft long, by between 8ft-10ft wide- we havent decided yet as we want to see how that will impact on our garden space.

Questions
1) What have you used for your base?
Option 1- We are thinking at the moment paving slabs, but obviously for that size its quite costly! We arre thinking of turfing over half of this area with grass as the buns do love it, and they couldnt dig out/foxes dig as it would have a solid base first.

Option 2- a cheaper way we thought was mesh over the current grass, followed by a layer of grass and part slabs. But would the mesh rot under grass? And how would the pens frame of wood last on grass rather than concrete/slabs?

2) What would you put in the pen?

We had our old one with an old garden chair and tunnel, but thats about it.

My buns seem to love tunnels, levels to go under and on, and darting around, so because they dart around i dont want it over crowded, but they seem to like running around things- in their free time they often run around the summerhouse crazily! Any suggestions welcome.

We are thinking of adding a roof to the pen, and where it will be will be sheltered from the rain on all sides except 1 (fences around it) so rain shouldnt get in it too much.

Suggestions for base and interior greatly welcomed! :D

Questions
1) What have you used for your base?
Option 1- We are thinking at the moment paving slabs, but obviously for that size its quite costly! We arre thinking of turfing over half of this area with grass as the buns do love it, and they couldnt dig out/foxes dig as it would have a solid base first. Pavig slabes are great as they cant dig out - not good for buns with sore hocks though. the only problem you may get with turf is once its eaten down it gets dusty or muddy

Option 2- a cheaper way we thought was mesh over the current grass, followed by a layer of grass and part slabs. But would the mesh rot under grass? And how would the pens frame of wood last on grass rather than concrete/slabs? If its good quality and treated mesh it should be fine for a long period. Wooden frames will get wetter on grass and will rot easier but again treating them regularly will help. See above comments re grass getting worn down

2) What would you put in the pen?

We had our old one with an old garden chair and tunnel, but thats about it.

My buns seem to love tunnels, levels to go under and on, and darting around, so because they dart around i dont want it over crowded, but they seem to like running around things- in their free time they often run around the summerhouse crazily! Any suggestions welcome. All of the above. Maybe some safe apple or hawthorn branches and a plant pot. Maybe boxes for digging in. If you do a search on here for digging boxes you will find info and pics

We are thinking of adding a roof to the pen, and where it will be will be sheltered from the rain on all sides except 1 (fences around it) so rain shouldnt get in it too much.

Suggestions for base and interior greatly welcomed! :D

Back