• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage food - Bramble

Anna xx

Warren Scout
Just a couple of questions..

im sure I read somewhere that rabbits can eat this? - is this where the blackberries come from because im sure thats where I see it?? Also when giving it to the rabbits do I pick the leaves off because of the thorns??

Thanks xx

The leaves do have some thorns, down the middle but you can either take these off with scissors or gently pull on the stem while holding the sides of the leaf. I don't bother myself, mine get them leaf thorns and all. I always cut the (generally) five leaves off the main stem and the stem goes in the burning pile on the allotment. Then they leave the smaller stems between the leaf (for me to tread on later :roll:) When I get them I seem to end up getting loads and then air-drying them. I have loads and loads downstairs. :oops:

I really want to forage some brambles but always seem to see wildies not far away, is this risking contamination to my bunnies?

I really want to forage some brambles but always seem to see wildies not far away, is this risking contamination to my bunnies?

Pick from high up in the bushes - above waist level, and they should be fine, as wildies will eat from the lower branches :)

When I get them I seem to end up getting loads and then air-drying them. I have loads and loads downstairs. :oops:

Oh, if you dry them can you save them until winter? or do they only last a little while? I need to de-weed the end of my garden to make a shed and veggie patch but at the moment it is the source of all my dandelions, brambles, plantain and sticky weed. Be good if I could dry and save some of it. Do you just leave it out in sun? How long does it take to dry out?

Oh, if you dry them can you save them until winter? or do they only last a little while? I need to de-weed the end of my garden to make a shed and veggie patch but at the moment it is the source of all my dandelions, brambles, plantain and sticky weed. Be good if I could dry and save some of it. Do you just leave it out in sun? How long does it take to dry out?

I pop mine into baskets/boxes either in the greenhouse or the porch, both of which get sunny and hot - they dry in a few days.

Some folks dry in the oven but I can never get that right :lol:

I store mine in cardboard boxes or paper bags in the airing cupboard after they are dry.

I'm still using brambles from last autumn - they are still green and crispy, and on wet days when I don't want to go out for fresh ones my buns eat these and love them :)

I dry them partly for the winter and partly because Nutmeg doesn't really like fresh food, she prefers it dry and crispy :roll: Provided they are in a dry environment I think they last a while, this is my first year of drying stuff so someone like PrettyLupin, Thumps or Blackberry might have more idea. The only things I've dried so far are nettles (tied in a bunch and hung up), sage (also tied in a bunch and hung), bramble leaves (scattered on trays and left out indoors) and hawthorn (which was in a paper bag and dried completely unintentionally).

This thread might be of interest to you...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274136

It's long but very useful.

Thanks for your replies and advice, I want to start drying stuff! Although nowhere really to leave it out and we live so close to the beach it just blows away outside! We'll see!

I have had a look at that forum, loads of good info but your right, it is so loooong! I haven't had time to read it properly.

This is how I'm drying my brambles. They'd already been washed and partly dried (pillowcase, spun round fast!)

IMG_3325.jpg

Back