• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drags hind legs when walks

random_nasha

Young Bun
My pet rabbit drags his legs when he walks occasionally, and his back end / hips go to the left side of him as he walks, almost as if he is twisted.

It has been getting worse, and the vet has no idea. He is an experienced vet, and we have always used him. He has tried Metacam in case of Arthritis, a wormer in case of a parasite. He has been Xrayed and nothing has shown up.

Any ideas / similar experiences? :(

so sorry to here about you bun :( i have no experiance with this, but im sure someone will be able to help, how long was you bun on the wormer for? i know if its anything like EC they need panacure quite a long time xx

so sorry to here about you bun :( i have no experiance with this, but im sure someone will be able to help, how long was you bun on the wormer for? i know if its anything like EC they need panacure quite a long time xx

he was on it for 9 days, with no signs of any improvement at all :(

I agree you would need a min 28 day course to notice any difference with panacur so I would discuss trying this again with your vet. If nothing has shown up on xray it sounds like a muscular or nervous system problem

Was the problem rapid in onset or has it come on over a period of time ?

Apart from the hind leg weakness does he have any other symptoms ?

Can you post a short video of your Rabbit ?

Was the problem rapid in onset or has it come on over a period of time ?

Apart from the hind leg weakness does he have any other symptoms ?

Can you post a short video of your Rabbit ?

It started back in April, after he came back from 2 weeks at my nan's due to problems here. It has gotten worse, and is doing so more and more now.

Is 30 days minimum best for Pancur then?

Thanks guys

-- oh yeah, and is can try to upload one, i took it to show the vet. How do I upload a video?

It started back in April, after he came back from 2 weeks at my nan's due to problems here. It has gotten worse, and is doing so more and more now.

Is 30 days minimum best for Pancur then?

Thanks guys

-- oh yeah, and is can try to upload one, i took it to show the vet. How do I upload a video?

Do you have Photobucket ?

If so you can upload it onto there and then post the link on here.

Malc was doing this for a while too, My vet couldn't find anything serious so we decided he had maybe jumped 'wrongly' off of the shelf???

He had a painkiller jab at the vets and after about a week he was ok again - never did find out what it was tho :?

I don't know what is wrong with him, but is heartbreaking to watch him like it, I just wish we could find the problem.

The vet is really good, and he has been the family vet for over 20 years, and is very thorough in his examinations.

I'm thinking maybe I should suggest to try Panacur again, but for longer this time? He was on it for 9 days before, just to see if there was a slight improvement, but there was not so he came off of it.

He has been on Metacam, again, for about three weeks now, in case his case is Athritis related, but no improvements. If anything, it is getting worse :(

My bun started with a similar problem. He had ecuniculi and was on Panacur and a dose of Metacam for 28 days. He has been left with a slightly disabled leg but can still hop, climb steps fine now.

I hope he gets better.

EC

Hi,

As has already been said this does sound like it might be a case of EC. Has there been a change in toilet habits i.e. loss of litter training?

If it is EC then the general consensus is that you would need an initial 28 day course of Panacur complimented by metacam administration to help with any inflammation of the brain.

There is some evidence to suggest that steroid administration is also beneficial in treating EC, but that's quite controversial due to immuno suppression and risks associated with administering steroids in conjunction with metacam.

If EC, I agree that the course would be 28days.

It doesn't sound like my bunny's arthritis (which was relieved by injections)

sue:wave:

He's due in to the vets on thursday, so I will suggest giving it another try, as you all have suggested this could be his problem.

Thanks to everyone who has posted, I'll keep you all informed.

Oh, and in answer to the question about his toilet habits, he seems to spray a lot more sometimes?

We know how you feel and it is heart breaking to watch. Cameron our rabbit is going through it right now the last two weeks on metacam and panacur with little improvement he seems ok for a few hops then drops his side again. He is also lying with his hind legs stretched out behind or twisted on his side. We went back to the vets yesterday and he has had steriod jabs and vitamin jabs he also has a vitamin supp in his water.

He is now 5 and the vet says its not far off his time so we have to wait and see.

Just to let you know panacur is £3.50 on the internet yet £7 from the vet so buy online;)

My bunny had something like that when he was just a few months old had w give him panacur it took ages but he did get better he will never be 100% but so much better thanhewas how long did you use the panacur for?

So far its been 6 days but i have 36 days worth to get through. He is alert other than the legs and is still randy for my legs!! His hutch is half grass and half patio and he has now dug a big hole and parked his back legs in it so i suppose he is comfy.

Back