• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dwarf lop food

I'm trying to decide wether to get a giant bunny or dwarf lop and
i'm just wondering how much dwarf lops cost, diet wise?
Fresh food, hay and dried feed.

I have a dwarf lop and she is huge! She's 2.6kg.
She eats hay like it's going out of fashion but she lives with her husbun so he eats lots too.
They get a small handfull of pellets between them in the morning, unlimited hay all day and then some veggies at night. Oh and a treat of some readigrass in the early morning.

They dont cost that much as a 2.5kg bag of pellets lasts me ages as they have so few. Hay I get a massive bag of and lasts me 2 weeks. It's the fresh veggies that cost a few ££'s a week.
I guess on my 2 I spend about £25 - £30 a month for the hay, dry food, veg and readigrass.

I'm fostering a dwarf lop at the moment. She is over 3kg (we are trying to get her weight down though). Just like Sammi_83's bunny, she eats a lot of hay. I buy hay in a bale, which costs about £8 and will last a few weeks for 2 bunnies. Bunnies aren't usually meant to eat too much of the processed bunny food (the pellets), so just like Sammi I only give a few of these a day, so that doesn't cost much either. Then some fresh veg, or in the summer I pick dandelions and brambles and things instead, so they are free!

What is the costly bit are the vet's bills, though :lol:.

I'm fostering a dwarf lop at the moment. She is over 3kg (we are trying to get her weight down though). Just like Sammi_83's bunny, she eats a lot of hay. I buy hay in a bale, which costs about £8 and will last a few weeks for 2 bunnies. Bunnies aren't usually meant to eat too much of the processed bunny food (the pellets), so just like Sammi I only give a few of these a day, so that doesn't cost much either. Then some fresh veg, or in the summer I pick dandelions and brambles and things instead, so they are free!

What is the costly bit are the vet's bills, though :lol:.

^^^^This! Food costs are the last thing to worry about compared to vet bills!

Dwarf lops are medium-large sized rabbits. Giants are huge and need a great deal of space, preferably either a large shed, or free range in the house. Dwarf lops can live in a large hutch and run, or a shed or in the house. Depending on space, depends on what breed you can have.

Giants will eat more than a dwarf. Also, bear in mind that giants are prone to specific health problems, such as spine problems (due to their long back and large size) and sore hocks. Dwarf lops are prone to dental issues (due to their lop ears).

a bale of hay will last my pair 6 weeks = £6.50

pellets last months as they only get a small handful 3xdaily = £3.00 for 2.5kg

veg usually costs £5 per week but now its summer and i am growing my own kale and savoy cabbage plus i also forage for hawthorn and brambles so its nil - £2 a week at the mo :D

a bale of hay will last my pair 6 weeks = £6.50

pellets last months as they only get a small handful 3xdaily = £3.00 for 2.5kg

veg usually costs £5 per week but now its summer and i am growing my own kale and savoy cabbage plus i also forage for hawthorn and brambles so its nil - £2 a week at the mo :D

Great advice thanx.

I know about size and the future possible vets fees i was just wondering about cost of food for lops.
As ive said before i have more than enough space for either.
Again thanx for all your help.

Mine are about the size of dwarf lops, and between them they cost me £22.50 a month, that is food, bedding hay, eating hay, and treats.

Back