• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Conjunctivitis and jabs?

Kate123

Young Bun
Hi all, thoughts would be appreciated! Bobs has a sticky left eye and it also appears red around the eyelid. His appetite and mood is fine, so I'm thinking he may have conjunctivitis. He is due his myxi jab in the first week of August and really hates the vets - so I was wondering if a) he could have the myxi jab 2 1/2 weeks early or will that cause a problem and b) could he have the jab if he needs treating for conjunctivitis (not sure what treatment is involved?).

His wifey needs her myxi ASAP (just realised about 6 weeks out of date as she was a rescue bun so timings are out) and trying to avoid possibly 3/4 trips to the vets in the next month as his VHD is due in 5 weeks and we always take both along together. Ideally he'd have his eye sorted and both have jabs all in 1 visit - unless it's too much for him.

Oh dear, that means three trips then, and Bella getting her jab alone! How is conjunctivitis generally treated?

Thanks for the quick reply

Oh dear, that means three trips then, and Bella getting her jab alone! How is conjunctivitis generally treated?

Thanks for the quick reply

If it is conjunctivitis then a 7-10 day course of antibiotic eye drops (usually Fucithalmic or Tiacil).

But there are other causes of a runny eye including Dental problems (elongated tooth ROOTS) or an injury to the eye (often caused by a stalk of hay)

He doesn't seem to have any problems eating anything at all (!) but I have upped their hay intake so that could be it, more chance of an injury? However his eye lid is red, would an injury cause that?

He doesn't seem to have any problems eating anything at all (!) but I have upped their hay intake so that could be it, more chance of an injury? However his eye lid is red, would an injury cause that?

Impossible to say what it is without being able to see it !!

I'd take him to the Vet today as if it is an infection causing conjunctivitis then the longer it is left untreated the more serious it can become.

Good luck :)

Back