• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wildie with myxi....did I do the right thing?

Tracy

Warren Veteran
I was driving home from work this afternoon and past a wildie sitting right in the middle of a busy country road. I turned around as soon as I could and came back the other way and stopped the car. The poor little thing had traffic whizzing by on either side of him and a lorry missed him by inches. I could see he had myxi and a small part of me wondered if I should leave him be, in the hope that he would have a quick death at the hands of the traffic, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bear the thought of him sitting there, feeling really poorly and absolutely terrified too. :( I went over to him and he ran to one side of the road and then over to the other side. The traffic stopped in both directions while I shoo'd him into the long grass and hedgerow. I still don't know if I did the right thing. :(

Ohhh what a vile disease. :cry:

I honestly don't know what I'd do in that circumstance. The most humane thing would probably be to put them out of their misery, but I don't think I could do that. Nature is so cruel sometimes :(

Its funny I have seen many a bun with myxo sitting rite at the side of the road,as if they are waiting to end their suffering :cry::cry:.My dog bought a myxo bun to me the other day,luckily my OH swiftly put it out its misery.Im afraid I would find it very hard to kill an animal

Its funny I have seen many a bun with myxo sitting rite at the side of the road,as if they are waiting to end their suffering :cry::cry:.My dog bought a myxo bun to me the other day,luckily my OH swiftly put it out its misery.Im afraid I would find it very hard to kill an animal

Although it would be in their best interest I know I couldn't kill an animal either.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in that circumstance. The most humane thing would probably be to put them out of their misery, but I don't think I could do that. Nature is so cruel sometimes :(

I have put buns out of their misery before and also taken them to the vets to be pts.

Tbh, my conscience won't allow me to leave them to suffer :(

I don't know what I would do Tracy. Whilst I would want to put the animal out of its misery I don't know if I would be capable of killing it outright without causing it more suffering. The only option for me would be to take it to a vet to be pts but in this case it wasn't possible.

I read somewhere that more wild rabbits are surviving myxi and developing some level of immunity.

We've had this with chicks. It's blatantly obvious to tell if they're going to make it and it would probably kinder to end it but I just can't and I also don't want a vet to pts just in case. It's tricky

He was quite nifty and moved quickly when I went towards him so I wouldn't have been able to catch him.

I just couldn't bear the thought of leaving him in the road to get squashed. :cry:

Suzanne, I've read that some wildies are surviving myxi too, so I just hope that he will be one of the lucky ones who get through this horrible disease.

i couldnt run it over either :(:(
even tho it would be the kindest thing to do when they have it :(
i think i would have just drove on :(

You did the right thing Tracy. You put your life at risk to save the little bun's life. He or she may recover; you never know. :wave:

Back