• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those who freerange in the garden...

Theres always a risk but I prefer to take that risk to give my buns a few hours freedom.

We have a 6ft fence surrounding our garden with stones ontop of the soil. Im lucky enough that neither of my 2 are diggers. They are happy to lounge by the pond for a few hours and then head back into the hutch. They dont even eat the plants, just the grass. :shock:

Are you thinking about giving them free range occasionally when they are living outside?

Its a personal choice, I feel comfortable letting my 2 out & check on them every 15 mins. I wouldnt advise this to anyone but works for me & my 2. :)

I don't think you can ever assume nothing will happen to them. It's like having 2 year olds :lol: and you need to keep an eye on them.

For bunny-proofing, I've got loads of those pens that are made up of 6 'gates' that you can join together. You can get them from p@h and online as well. They are meant for making a 6 sided pen, but I run them along the edges of the garden and around any areas I don't want them to access.

Theres always a risk but I prefer to take that risk to give my buns a few hours freedom.

We have a 6ft fence surrounding our garden with stones ontop of the soil. Im lucky enough that neither of my 2 are diggers. They are happy to lounge by the pond for a few hours and then head back into the hutch. They dont even eat the plants, just the grass. :shock:

Are you thinking about giving them free range occasionally when they are living outside?

Its a personal choice, I feel comfortable letting my 2 out & check on them every 15 mins. I wouldnt advise this to anyone but works for me & my 2. :)

They are outside now, and come in for a run about, but I am looking at buying a run. But also was interested in freeranging. My garden is NOT secure as it is though!

I just keep an eye on them constantly. Garden has a spiked 6 foot fence but cats have been known to get in from my neighbours garden so I watch over them anyway.

I don't worry about Poppy as she's a good girl, Donny however .. I let him free range for the first time and he ran and jumped straight down the back of the garden into the barn area and I spent an hour trying to get him out and block the area off.. I never thought of it as Poppy has never jumped downthere :? Scared me lol.. We have mesh barriers for the gate and the side of the house butapart from that it's fine :) have to really watch Don though as he's an excellent climber :roll: Poppy climbs but he managed to get onto the well! (it's got a plant lid thing on top) :) there's also a cat from the pub but it hasn't been in ages and it's quite tame(hard to scare off lol) and our cat is a house cat, but loves the rabbits :)

Last edited:
My garden is fully secure and there are no plants, just grass.

Here is a piccie of what they have;
5b52e2bd.jpg

We only let them out when we are in the house and they are checked on regularly. I know there are some risks but the quality of life of my buns would be drastically reduced if they never got out their enclosures.

My wonderful OH and FIL spent a double of days digging along the fence line, putting welded mesh along the fence and filling in again. They aree only free range when we are in the house. OH works from home and is in the conservatory and I tend to be doing stuff in the garden or kitchen so have an eye on them too.

We only have grass so plants are not a problem. I check every day for signs of digging but it is a new house and the garden is made of rubble so there isn't much chance of them going far.

Im very lucky in the fact that I have a very secure walled garden,I have free ranged my bunnies for years,the only problems I get is with pesky magpies and the occasional cat comes in to have a look.I used to get foxes in the garden at night,so all the buns are put away,luckily I havent seen a fox for about four years now

picasabackground.jpg

Im very lucky in the fact that I have a very secure walled garden,I have free ranged my bunnies for years,the only problems I get is with pesky magpies and the occasional cat comes in to have a look.I used to get foxes in the garden at night,so all the buns are put away,luckily I havent seen a fox for about four years now

picasabackground.jpg

They must manage a good few high speed binkies on that grass!

My mum constructed mesh panels to block off any bits they can get out of but overall the garden is quite secure. We always either watch from the window or sit out with them though.

When we moved into this house we rabbit proofed the garden with chicken wire, my hubby dug down and buried it all around. I have had one rabbit who was determined to escape and I found out that next doors dog had been digging his side and my rabbit managed to find her way out several times. I have never had any other problems with any of the rabbits:wave:

They must manage a good few high speed binkies on that grass!

That picture was taken a few years ago,Theo the bunny in the run and Lottie my GSD have gone to the bridge :cry::cry:.I have three bunnies at the moment,two contis and my hand reared wildy,the contis are to lazy to run let alone binky,they are more interested in eating:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:Baby my wildy runs around though at break neck speed :love:

my 2 are free range in the garden when im in and i keep poping out to check the only problem i have is the odd cat i have a very secure garden xx

Frank and Petal have their 6 x 4 shed and an attached 5 x 5 run, but whenever I am at home, they freerange.

I get up and let them out at 6am until I leave for work at 8am. When I get in at about 6.30pm, I let them out and they're out till about 10pm.

On days off, they can be out from 6am through till 10pm.

The garden is stones round the perimeter and they can't dig out. They have the grass in the middle that they graze on, so best of both worlds.

The fence around the perimeter is about 6' high.

I know, you can never be 100% sure without always watching, but they're happy :)

(the shed at the bottom is not theirs, it's the rubbish hoarding shed)

garden.jpg

Back