• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood or wee?

Hi all
I went to open up the rabbit's shed this morning and on the lino on their floor was what looked like blood. It was dried and a darkish red colour.

Rabbits were both perky and pleased to see me. I have checked them both, all over and no sign of any blood anywhere. they are eating fine and drinking and pooing and weeing. They are perky and the same as they are everyday.

it just alarmed me a bit. Not sure what it was.

could it be wee?

Am keeping an eye on them today. But they seem totally fine.

Could definatley be wee.. Have they eaten anything different?
One of mine used to be like that with dandelion leaves

Likely food pigment in the urine.

Have they had lots of dandelions, apple twigs or carrot etc recently?

I know how you feel.

Rolo has a habit of weeing in the bathroom and I went in there the other day and it looked like a scene from a horror film!!! He'd wee'd loads and it was proper red, coupled with the fact he'd flicked it off his feet. It was up the walls, the side of the bath, EVERYWHERE!!

I scooped him up and literally flung him in the car to get to the vets. Convinced he was bleeding to death internally. I drove like a lunatic and ran screaming into the vets that he was dying...

Vets came running out of their little rooms to help.

Turns out it was just wee!!! Forgot all about him eating his way through a rose bush with RED flowers on it!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Vet explained if it was blood, it would be wee coloured with spots of blood in it. Ahhhhhh, its a learning curve loving a rabbit!

Rach x

Yes they have had dandelions yesterday when they were in the garden. They also had a fenugreek crunchie each (which they have never had before) and they had a few willow leaves.

Have just checked them and they are fine.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I did slightly freak when I saw it! But was then bemused when I couldn't find any sign of injury anywhere on either of them.

I know how you feel.

Rolo has a habit of weeing in the bathroom and I went in there the other day and it looked like a scene from a horror film!!! He'd wee'd loads and it was proper red, coupled with the fact he'd flicked it off his feet. It was up the walls, the side of the bath, EVERYWHERE!!

I scooped him up and literally flung him in the car to get to the vets. Convinced he was bleeding to death internally. I drove like a lunatic and ran screaming into the vets that he was dying...

Vets came running out of their little rooms to help.

Turns out it was just wee!!! Forgot all about him eating his way through a rose bush with RED flowers on it!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Vet explained if it was blood, it would be wee coloured with spots of blood in it. Ahhhhhh, its a learning curve loving a rabbit!

Rach x

That was nearly me this morning!! I hesitated for a minute thinking "Take to the vets immediately" but then when I thought about it, I realised that if I did I couldn't actually pinpoint who had done this wee/blood, as neither had any signs of who it could be!!! You are right it is a learning curve! I worry about them more than I do my son!!!

Back