• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD: Do female rabbits ever eat their young?!

mattyp

Warren Veteran
And that this means rabbits can give birth to kits at 2 different times? Or do both wombs need to be pregnant at the same time?

A bit of clarity needed so I can advise someone I know who seems to have had an 'accidental' litter.

Dont think rabbits actually have two wombs but they do have a sort of horned uterus, so kits can develop in either or both of the horns

They have two uterine horns.

It is possible to have a different pregnancy in each horn, but exceptionally uncommon. Normally the doe would ovulate in both horns when mating with a rabbit. Normally a rabbit would have a litter, and then can be impregnated again instantly.

The two uterine horns means that kindling (labour) can happen at two separate times and the does seem to be able to stop it if it's distressing. For example, babies from one horn may be born on one day, and those in the other horn, the next.

Does that help?

They have two uterine horns.

It is possible to have a different pregnancy in each horn, but exceptionally uncommon. Normally the doe would ovulate in both horns when mating with a rabbit. Normally a rabbit would have a litter, and then can be impregnated again instantly.

The two uterine horns means that kindling (labour) can happen at two separate times and the does seem to be able to stop it if it's distressing. For example, babies from one horn may be born on one day, and those in the other horn, the next.

Does that help?

Yes that does help.

Someone I know has a rabbit that has just given birth for the first time. He seems genuinely worried and has booked the male rabbit in for a neuter tomorrow. (Too little too late but what can you do...) I am just trying to give any advice I can. I've said that she might be giving birth to even more kits yet.

It already sounds like she's been leaving the nest though, and he's already disturbed it so I'm not holding out much hope :?

You would expect her to leave the nest. They are not maternal animals, particularly. They go back to the nest once or twice a day for a few mins and feed (standing up over the nest).

It also doesn't matter if he touches the nest, as long as he is careful. Equally, it doesn't matter if he touches the babies- he needs to check there are no dead babies or placentas in the nest.

He just needs to make sure he smells of nothing strong, and strokes mummy first. If mum is objectionable to him touching the nest, that's when he needs to stop.

He will need to check after about 36 hours that all babies look like they have swallowed a pingpong ball because that indicates they have been fed. If they don't, then he can help her feed (I can explain more if that occurs).

If you want to give him my e-mail address then I'm more than happy for you to and he can drop me an e-mail if he has any advice or questions or anything. It's therabbitlady@googlemail.com Equally, maybe see if he will come to the forum? And you're welcome to PM me or e-mail me too. :)

Are mum and dad now separate? If they are, were they separated before or after birth? Remind him he can't put dad back with mum after the neuter, until either six weeks after the neuter and rebond then, or until after the babies have grown up and been weaned- whichever comes later.

You would expect her to leave the nest. They are not maternal animals, particularly. They go back to the nest once or twice a day for a few mins and feed (standing up over the nest).

It also doesn't matter if he touches the nest, as long as he is careful. Equally, it doesn't matter if he touches the babies- he needs to check there are no dead babies or placentas in the nest.

He just needs to make sure he smells of nothing strong, and strokes mummy first. If mum is objectionable to him touching the nest, that's when he needs to stop.

He will need to check after about 36 hours that all babies look like they have swallowed a pingpong ball because that indicates they have been fed. If they don't, then he can help her feed (I can explain more if that occurs).

If you want to give him my e-mail address then I'm more than happy for you to and he can drop me an e-mail if he has any advice or questions or anything. It's therabbitlady@googlemail.com Equally, maybe see if he will come to the forum? And you're welcome to PM me or e-mail me too. :)

Are mum and dad now separate? If they are, were they separated before or after birth? Remind him he can't put dad back with mum after the neuter, until either six weeks after the neuter and rebond then, or until after the babies have grown up and been weaned- whichever comes later.

I've just messaged him your advice. I've pointed him in the direction of the forum as well.

I'm trying to carefully word everything as well so I don't sound too pushy, as he's friends with hundreds of my own friends and I don't want any hostility :oops:

I agree, I handled Isla's kits from about 36 hours, I always 'washed' my hands in her litter tray and kept an eye on her for reactions, and gave her greens as a distraction ( it also helps with lactating) but she was perfectly happy for me to handle them, I would of stopped had she not been. I think it helped make them much more handleable now, the babies love human company and stampeed to see what I am bringing them..

Someone has just posted on this guys facebook that sometimes a female rabbit will eat their young if they feel threatened?! WTH please tell me this is B/S? :shock:

(And some idiot commented saying 'Congrats to you on your first litter Im warning you tho this bunny breeding is quite addictive - look at me lol' ) :evil:

Rabbits can overgroom which some can mistake for eating them.

I've personally never known a mum eat her kits, not from anyone I know who has done it in a more responsible way (sometimes mum's don't look after them, but obviously that's different).

I have heard of it and I think if it's going to happen it's if the mum feels under extreme stress/fear.

But, I've not heard of it happening with stable rabbits (i.e. those treated well, those who have lived at their home and know it's their home, who feel safe, etc).

I had a rabbit whos mom had bitten half her foot off when she was a baby...

my mom used to breed them when we were little... they do eat them

Rabbits will sometimes eat their newborns if pregnancy took a large toll on them... I once knew a doe that ate her kits because she was so thin when she gave birth. Apparently the doe knows if she isn't healthy enough to look after the kits.

Some people say does might kill a litter that have 'something wrong' with them, but Ive never known evidence for this.

In all honesty, its a bit hard to judge why a doe may kill her kits, as we can't ask her why.

Many species are vulnerable to infanticide by their own mothers.... Some only do it with their first birth, some are serial killing mothers..... Some people say it may be down to not understanding pregancy and birth, that what came out is a baby; and theirs...... Again, I cannot prove what an animal is thinking......

Back