• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Sparrow, the wild baby.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Sparrow is now about 4 weeks old, he is getting milk 3 times a day and eating hay, his poops have got a lot bigger and changed colour.
I haven't given any mix yet, I feed rabbit royal to all my buns, so I was wondering when I should start to introduce it. He is full of life and can now jump out of his cage, when should I be able to sex him properly- I so hope he is a boy.

Aww yes would love to see pics! I have no idea about babies feeding I'm afraid, all my buns have been 'young adults' when I got them. Maybe try him on the odd pellet and see if he can/wants to eat it?

They make their transition to an adult gut around 4 weeks so it might be worthwhile looking to reduce his milk as you increase his food. Normally babies will start eating the dry food as soon as they leave the nest though, which is around 2-3 weeks, so anytime from now onwards is fine.

Thank you, I have started to reduce his milk to 3 times a day, although most of the time he has a bit and then wants to explore.
I'll get piccies soon, he's a delight!

Not had a chance to collect it yet, going to collect it tomorrow. I'm sure he will like it, he's a wee tearaway!

I put wild plants,grass and rabbit mix in with Baby from the age of three weeks,It took him a few days to get the hang of eating.Good luck with Sparrow xxxx

I put wild plants,grass and rabbit mix in with Baby from the age of three weeks,It took him a few days to get the hang of eating.Good luck with Sparrow xxxx

we did the same with Pippin and he weaned himself at about 4 weeks. Just totally lost interest in the milk feeds.

Back