• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excessive drinking? Help

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Phoebe and Albie get through two bowls of water a day. Is this alot compared to some? As my other bunnies dont drink anywhere near this much. Also sometimes if i fill it before bed, its empty in the morning :?

Has it always been this way, or has it changed?

If it has changed, did it tally with anything? Change in environment? Bond? maybe type/bale of hay? Diet?

Has it all of a sudden got like that or always been that way, mine drink a big bowl and a bit a day between them in a day.

Which I thought was normal as its dryer indoors. :)

Also, do they eat more hay than the others?

Rabbits that eat more grass tend to need to drink less because of the moisture in the grass, so if they eat a really high percentage of hay they would need to drink more.

How big are the bowls ?

Average water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs

since bringing my Miley indoors she's been drinking almost an entire medium sized bottle in a day!! :shock: :shock: so reading this has got me slightly worried :? she seems fine in herself though, eating lots of hay and only 10 pellets of an evening as a treat..... no wet foods.. i guess this could be the reason?? :?

My lops are indoors and eat a lot of hay and they drink a lot. They have been known to get through a litre in a day when I wasn't feeding veg. Normally it's more like 500-750ml. It's always a good idea to check with a vet. I did when they first started (they'd moved into my room which is a tad warmer and I'd also stopped feeding veg to try and help Mini's tum) and some urine tests were done but all was ok so it was just environment and diet related.

Just checked the jug I use to fill water. I'd say between 700-800ml each time I fill the bowl. They don't eat much hay, some days they do, some they don't. Not like my others. Its hard to say who's drinking it all aswell. I feed them separate as Phoebe eats more than Albie and he doesn't get his fair share. Nothing has changed food wis e. Hay varies each time I go I suppose. Always feed similiar veg and herbs.

Only change in environment is they moved to a bigger hutch with attached run. But even before that they drank pretty much the same. Hmmm.

Just checked the jug I use to fill water. I'd say between 700-800ml each time I fill the bowl. They don't eat much hay, some days they do, some they don't. Not like my others. Its hard to say who's drinking it all aswell. I feed them separate as Phoebe eats more than Albie and he doesn't get his fair share. Nothing has changed food wis e. Hay varies each time I go I suppose. Always feed similiar veg and herbs.

Have they had a Dental check recently ? Dental Rabbits can drink a lot to try to fill themselves up (eating may be painful) and also to soothe a sore mouth. The fact that they are not good hay eaters may point towards Dental problems

Do you weigh them regularly ?

Alvin and Holly get through that much in the summer (800ml morning + 800ml evening), since the move Alvin drinks loads more than he used to and his tummy is doing really well off it :D the muggier the day the more they drink.

hope whoever has upped their drinking isn't poorly xxxx

There more picky with hay than not eating it. I do give hand fulls of fresh grass and ready grass. Albie is a dental bun and was checked two months possibly six weeks ago. Both buns suffer with snuffles, which only seems to flare up in winter when its cold? May have a chat with my Vet, see what she thinks, as she knows both buns well.

Have they had a Dental check recently ? Dental Rabbits can drink a lot to try to fill themselves up (eating may be painful) and also to soothe a sore mouth. The fact that they are not good hay eaters may point towards Dental problems

Do you weigh them regularly ?

I was going to say this too. Was one of the things the vet wanted to check when mine were drinking lots. A small spur was seen on Mischa's teeth and he had a dental but in the end there wasn't much that needed doing but it's something to check, esp if they don't eat much hay.

What is their wee output like? My bridge bun Mopsy had diabetes insipidus. She would drink 3 litres a day and I had to change her litter tray twice a day or she would flood it. If I were you I would try to sit and watch them to see who it is that's drinking lots and then maybe get a vet to check them over. Hopefully its just because the weather is warm but best to be sure.

What is their wee output like? My bridge bun Mopsy had diabetes insipidus. She would drink 3 litres a day and I had to change her litter tray twice a day or she would flood it. If I were you I would try to sit and watch them to see who it is that's drinking lots and then maybe get a vet to check them over. Hopefully its just because the weather is warm but best to be sure.

Change litter every couple of days. Have to change hay box every day as its soaked. Did notice theres is more wet than any other buns.

I'll try do some observing and see, i did this with feeding and realised Phoebe ate Albies half :roll:

Thankyou :wave:

Back