• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

You may own pets at home bunny without knowing !

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
Random thread but just had a thought.
pets at home bunnies can end up in rescues.
I an 98% sure that Penny and harry are pets at home bunnies mainly becasue of their colouring and breed and especially penny , she loooks like the rabit you would find in pets at home.
But I will never know where they came from as they are rescues ;)

I have thought this too, Beano is classed as a pet shop bun (I bought her from a pet shop) so people have said she is more likely to have illnesses because of her bad breeding for the pet shop, whereas Gordon is classed as a rescue bun (I adopted him from honeybunnies) but he orginally came from a pet shop so he's really a pet shop bun too!

I do think though that people shouldn't worry about whether their buns are pet shop buns so they're more likely to become ill perhaps, aslong as the bunnie is happy and will always be loved and cared for then enjoy them :love:

I do agree. You never know (well, I do, with mine :lol:).

However, the difference is that a rescue is doing what is in the best interests of the rabbit, and a pet shop is doing what is in the best interests of the pet shop.

I also know that mine are more likely to get ill than the average, because they come to me with problems.

At the end of the day, once you have the rabbit it doesn't matter where it comes from, all that matter is that it's happy :)

The rescue I got Archie and Molly from told me that they were dumped by their previous owner when they were 6 weeks, I think they were an accidental litter.
I don't go in pets at home now I feel so sorry for the animals :(

I would not be surprised with Sunshine. He was given to the rescue I got him from, as a pet not longer wanted.

What gets me, it that we were told he was 3 or 4. How could you not know his age. A year is a long time.

I probably do own pets at home bunnies but then given I didn't support the store by buying them it's not really relevant where they came from orginally.

The rescue I got Honey from got my money instead and Roly didn't cost me a bean, indeed I imagine his former owner would have paid me to take the floppy eared ratbag.

What gets me, it that we were told he was 3 or 4. How could you not know his age. A year is a long time.
I can't remember when I got my gerbils, and could only work out when I got the rabbits because I posted on a forum when I got them. :oops:

I agree that rescue bunnies are highly likely to be pet shop buns, but the difference is you aren't supporting poor breeding practices when you adopt from a rescue.

Tonks was born from 2 pets at home buns. She was from an accidental litter when her mum was paired with another girl, who turned out to be a boy.
Tonk's mum had 2 babies, a girl and a boy and the owner couldn't keep the boy, the boy turned out to be a girl and is my Tonks :p

Bellatrix I'm not sure of but before she came to me was gotten from the pets at homes adoption, as was my late Hermione.

Trouble is but I knew that all along as he was rescued by myself! Mischief probably is- as there's nowhere else near that I can think of that she could be from, I can rule out most.

Oreo (in my sig) is a P@H bun, he is a typical one - cute lop, usually whites and browns mixed..well where I live anyway. Your lop looks similar x

I would not be surprised with Sunshine. He was given to the rescue I got him from, as a pet not longer wanted.

A year isn't necessarily the difference between 3 and 4 though, it can just be a day or a week ;)

eg last thursday I was 23 - my birthday was friday - now I'm 24

I forget my pets' exact ages because I can't remember their birthdays

Do you see?

The thing about buying from a pet shop is that you are encouraging them to restock and so they will buy more from a breeder, some breeders keep bunnies in terrible conditions, so even though you may save a bunny you cannot stop the cycle and save the ones left behind with breeders

If you adopt from a rescue they do not think we need to get more bunnies to replace the adopted ones, nothing would please a genuine rescue more than to turn around tomorrow and say 'I am sorry we have no bunnies in at the moment', it is a rescues dream to reduce the number of unwanted bunnies in the world, to see every animal living in its forever home happy and healthy.

Petshops view things in terms of profit and sales

I think my rescue bunny reggie is a pets at home bunny as I have seen identical looking bunnies in local pets at home. He is a large nethie and that is the kind they tend to stock other than lops.

Rodge was a pet shop bun, my friend bought him when he was a baby and once she was fed up of him, I took him.

Makes me sad to think he was 'on display' :cry:

Orla was born at Paws Here Rescue. :)

Back