• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Required sizes for bunny homes

emjrabbitwolf

Warren Scout
Hi guys, this may or may not be hidden somewhere, but I thought I'd bring it up as wondering about this from the discussion going on about new hutch designs.

I'm looking for answers to the follwoing which I hope will help not only myself but others; The total size provided could be provided over multiple levels, but please state this, when answering

What is the recommended size of outdoor hutch (not run) for a single standard rabbit? ie 2x6x2ft etc;
What is the recommended of outdoor hutch (not run) for two standard rabbits? ie 2x6x2ft etc;
What is the recommended of outdoor hutch (not run) for three standard rabbits? ie 3x6x2ft etc;
(The questions above are aimed at rabbits that end up staying the hutch all the time, though I know that is actually a bad situation)

What is the recommended size of sleeping quarter for a single standard house rabbit with access to a free roam at all times?
What is the recommended size of sleeping quarter for two standard house rabbits with access to a free roam at all times?
What is the recommended size of sleeping quarter for a three standard house rabbits with access to a free roam at all times?
(These are house buns who can hop about a room at all times and never locked up.)

What is the recommended size of cage for a single house rabbit that can not free range?
What is the recommended size of cage for two house rabbits that can not free range?
What is the recommended size of cage for two house rabbits that can not free range?
(IE house buns that are confined to their cage/hutch for most of the day but can be let out sometimes)

What is the recommended outdoor run space for a single standard rabbit?
What is the recommended outdoor run space for two standard rabbits?
What is the recommended outdoor run space for three standard rabbits?
(Just the run, not the hutch or any hide holes. or both those with constant access and those confined to hutches)

What is the recommended roaming floor space required for a single standard indoor rabbit?
What is the recommended roaming floor space required for two standard indoor rabbits?
What is the recommended roaming floor space required for three standard indoor rabbits?
(Not thier cage, just the floor space they can run about in. For free roaming or those that get released from their home sometimes)

What is the minimun size of shed/pen space for a single standard rabbit?
What is the minimun size of shed/pen space for two standard rabbits?
What is the minimun size of shed/pen space for three standard rabbits?
(This is for those lovely wendy house type set ups people have. Just the flat footprint without any hiding places)

What is the recommended size of hiding place for those rabbits who have access to a large secured play zone (secured garden/large run/large room/barn) at all time but no hutch/cage in place?
For one rabbit? Two rabbits? 3 rabbits?

Its a lot of information I'm asking for, but I'm hoping with help from the other RUers, when it comes that I can on multiple rabbits I'll know exactly what sort of space I should be offering them. Also to hopefully spread the message to other owners in the showing and pet worlds.

PS What are the LEGAL minimum sizes rabbits can be housed in? I'm wondering how many breeders are breaking the law, and should be warned about their actions.
(I want to be a responsible breeder offering my stock lots of space and company!)

Thats a lot of questions. The RWAF set out guidelines on their "Hutch is not Enough" campaign page which you can find by googling. I believe these are for a pair of rabbits as they dont recommend keeping a single rabbit. These are obviously just the bare minimum and ideally should be bigger.

As for larger groups I couldnt tell you but would imagine it needs to be a lot more than the minimum.

It's not recommended to keep rabbits as singles, so as far as I know there are no recommended sizes for a singe rabbit.

My pair have 150 (I think... Roughly anyway) sq ft of space at all times, with more space when it can be supervised.

I don't think the type of housing makes a difference on what the size should be.

I don't think you will get answers because there is no 'legal', although there are guidelines of 3 hops from one side to another.

Personally, I think anyone who cares about rabbits is better off working from their own morals and also working on the theory 'the bigger, the better'.

A start off point with the RWA is a good place to start.

Back