• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some help please... (long thread - sorry!)

petticoat74

Alpha Buck
I am having problems with my Rex bun Isabelle, I really don't know what to do, so thats why I am asking for help.;)
Isabelle is a standard Rex, she was born in February 2006, making her almost 5.5yrs old, she came to me after she had a litter of 10 babies and the woman no longer wanted her, as she would not tolerate another male bunny..:roll: I was told she was very shy, but not nasty.
So, she has never been an easy bunny, but she has always let me fuss her and handle her for health checks, put her in a travel cage/run etc.. The only thing is she has never tolerated another bun, of either sex near her cage, let alone in it, so I gave up trying and she seemed happy enough as a loner, though she can see the others, she does not live with them.
Anyway, a few months ago, she went into stasis and I also noticed her dewlap had got really big, so we dashed down to the vets, as I got her out of the cage in the vets surgery, she went nuts and screamed... she leapt onto the floor and we waited ages for her to calm down, when she finally did, the vet said he thought the dewlap had a tumour in it and also he thought her stasis was tooth related, so the next day she went in for surgery.
I had no problem getting her in or out of the travel cage, she was the same old Issi. But when I went to collect her, the vet said she had attacked the nurse before the op and when she came round and he thought she may be ill somewhere else, that they couldn't detect, as she had never been this aggressive before. The dewlap had no tumour its just fat, which is a surprise as she is not that big really and she did have a spur on her back tooth.
I thought she was just showing off, because she was at the vets, but her behaviour at home has got worse too...:( She hates being touched now, if I go to her, she hides in a corner or grunts and attacks. I can't even pick her up, I try and she attacks, so I resorted to just do it and she screamed, its the most awful noise:cry: I know she gets stressed by it, so I leave her be... But her nails need cutting and she is due her vaccs soon, so she needs to go in the travel cage...
Could there be something wrong, she is eating and drinking and weeing and pooing quite normally, she isn't bunched up, but she just seems to hate me and while I can tolerate that, as much as I love her, I need to be able to handle her at times and at the moment all she does is scream as soon as I do.
Please help!

Wow! Sounds like something must be wrong. I have no advice but hopefully someone who does will come along soon.

How is her sight and hearing? specifically, since things have deteriorated?

Has she had bloods and suchlike to rule out any other problems?

Haven't had bloods done... yet. She has been spayed a few years now and her sight and hearing is just fine.:(

Can you test her sight and hearing?

I can't help but wonder if something has 'gone wrong' and maybe she has had an 'episode' and lost sight, so a scared bunny, then becomes an absolutely terrified bunny.

Do you know what her behaviour is like when you're not around her? That may be a silly question :lol: Could you find out, maybe with a webcam/CCTV?

Can you test her sight and hearing?

I can't help but wonder if something has 'gone wrong' and maybe she has had an 'episode' and lost sight, so a scared bunny, then becomes an absolutely terrified bunny.

Do you know what her behaviour is like when you're not around her? That may be a silly question :lol: Could you find out, maybe with a webcam/CCTV?

Its not silly at all, I watch her from my kitchen window, she lives in the dining room and so I can monitor her without her knowing I am there... she can hear if dogs bark in the garden, her ears twitch at sounds and she sees movement too...:? She hops about her run and cage quite happily, she does not seem upset, I should say doesn't appear to be upset, until I try to pick her up or open the cage, even putting the food bowls in. I always call her name so she knows I am about and she watches me...
Maybe its hormones even though she has been spayed?

Phew, glad it wasn't silly and even better that you can see her without her knowing you're there.

Good to know she can hear.

What happens if you sit near her but don't attempt to interact with her at all?

How do you feel when you are opening the cage, or going to hold her?

I wonder if having something like Bachs rescue remedy (the flower one) around her area to help see if that might relax her down might help a bit if this is all fear related.

Phew, glad it wasn't silly and even better that you can see her without her knowing you're there.

Good to know she can hear.

What happens if you sit near her but don't attempt to interact with her at all?

How do you feel when you are opening the cage, or going to hold her?

I wonder if having something like Bachs rescue remedy (the flower one) around her area to help see if that might relax her down might help a bit if this is all fear related.

I will try that, never even thought about it, :(
If I stand out there or sit out there, she watches me, munches hay and just watches me, as far away as possible:cry: I'm not worried about opening the cage, for me, I just don't want to upset her and I am starting feel she is associating me with the pain of the last vet visit...:cry:

Is she like this with everyone who goes near her, or just with you?

ETA- also, has anything changed in her world at all? Any new additions to the house? more pets? people? Rearranging of where she lives?

Last edited:
Nothing has changed regarding new pets or moving her cage, we are moving house, so maybe she has picked up on our anxiety?:? She allows my Mum to put in bowls and take them out, she also allows the occassional nose rub... something I want to be able to do again...
I went out to see her and she was hopping about chomping hay, looking around, then I went in the room and she carried on eating, so I hunched down and talked to her... she sat back and then grunted, sprung forward, realised I had a bit of carrot in my hand and backed off and ate hay again, staring at me...:?

The fact she can be ok around some people is a good thing.

I guess you have to go right back to basics, start from scratch and start to win her trust again. I think maybe a good place to start would be handfeeding her, if you're not already, because that can be an exceptionally powerful tool.

Well apparently she decided to grunt at mum before going for her today...:( We have decided to get some pet rescue remedy to try her on, then we are going to move her cage right away from the other buns in the room (even though they have been there before she went 'funny'). We are also wondering if its a hormone thing, so I am going to try to find a bunny savvy vet, as my last really good one moved away and the one before that retired!:roll: And ask if she would benefit from going on hormone jabs, they worked for my Bridge bun Dylan....
I will do whatever it takes for my girlie bun!!;)

I just thought I would update this thread, as I haven't been on for awhile. We moved from Essex to Lincs and finally with a little more space and away from the dogs etc.. we started making progress, she was never the same again, sadly, but I could hand feed her.
Sadly my darling Isabelle was put to sleep last week, on Wednesday 30th May 2012 and my heart aches with her loss...:cry::cry: She had an inoperable dental abscess and a tumour in her dewlap after all. She was 6 years old. I miss her so much, my poor tormented souled bunny, she has left such a hole in my heart.
It was made worse as I also lost Pixie that day too..:cry:

She sounds like she was a very special bun feisty and all. I can tell that you really loved her a lot. I am so sorry for your loss and binky free Isabelle.

Thankyou so much.... it breaks my heart that I will never see her (or Pixie) again. The worst part is now we are up here, we have a nice vet, who prefers animals to people, a little old fashioned at times, but will never put a healthy animal to sleep if he can avoid it, no matter what the animal. He treated Isabelle with gentle respect. Unlike the first vet who said he never wanted to treat Isabelle again....:cry: I do wonder what went on when she had surgery and why the fiesty minx that I could handle went in for surgery and came out a tormented soul, who lost trust in me... Perhaps its better I don't know....

i am so sorry for your loss. :cry: sounds like she was incredibly loved. sleep tight isabelle. x

and pixie aswell. x

It sounds like she was either in pain or had tumors in other places which changed her behavior. I'm so sorry you lost her, you gave her a brilliant life which she would never have had if you didn't take her in.

Was Pixie another bunny? I'm sorry you lost two animals in one day, that must have been really hard.

*hugs*

Back