• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay eating

TriL1

Warren Scout
My bun was neutered Friday, and has been eating his pellets, although a bit slower than normal (although I am in the process of a change over), and he eats his greens but his hay seems to be aloooot slower - when i've gone to hand feed he does kinda of eat it but it doesnt seem like it goes down much. I have change the hay over, its still meadow hay but before I got it from dustfreehay.co.uk now I've got it from a local farm. Is he not eating it because he dont like it or because of the operation? i've just hand picked grass too and is eating that fine. Shall I just be patient and then hopefully he will eat more of the hay. ??? thanks.x:wave:

I'm wondering if he's been in pain, not been eating hay and now his teeth hurt. Is he picking it up and then dropping it or just showing no interest? Spurs can happen amazingly quick! I'd phone the vet up personally and say you're a bit concerned cos he's not eating his hay. Does he normally eat hay well?

yeah he does tend to pick it up and then not eat it. He just ate a few bits that I held to him but doesnt seem like much he is having as where normally he does eat it well? what is spurs??

Ive just read what it is. Thing is he had injections only few weeks ago and had a dental check and they said he was all fine?

Spurs can happen really quick though, even over a few days. If he's picking it up but not eating it I would take that to mean 'I want to eat this but I can't, it hurts' and would whisk bunny off for a teeth check. When Smudge gets stasis he reacts a bit like that sometimes, he'll take a treat off me and then drop it. 'I want this but Mummy it hurts to eat'.

i've just phoned the vet they said to keep an eye on him, they asked if he was ok in himself which I said he has been doing his usual bunny hops and eating but just not the hay, they said its normally an older rabbit and if it was molar spurs he would stop eating altogether? i'll see how he goes tomorrow and take it from there. thank you.x

I believe that hay is the first thing a dental bunny stops eating. Maybe a dental bunny mummy can answer because i haven't had any experience in this area yet, just going on what I've read.

I believe that hay is the first thing a dental bunny stops eating. Maybe a dental bunny mummy can answer because i haven't had any experience in this area yet, just going on what I've read.

It varies so much I think. In my own limited experience, Bubbles just suddenly avoids eating absolutely everything, whereas with other bunnies they go off certain foods - hay usually - in favour of softer foods. Others may go off pellets first or show other signs instead.

It's been a fair few days since the op and , while not unheard of, I wouldn't have thought he would still be in discomfort - is the wound healing nicely? Is it looking swollen or hot to the touch, which could indicate infection?

Do his poos look any smaller? I'm wondering if he's eating the hay but you're not really seeing it. :? It could be that he's not as keen on this hay as the old one - sometimes they grow to like it over time, but bunnies can be quite fussy.

Hi ya, the wound seems to look fine healing nicely, his also been jumping about and seeming fine. The other thing im thinking is that i've started changing his pellets over onto the adult excel pellets and before was given 2 handfuls but now I seem to have been giving a little more and veggies a slight bit more, like you said maybe he is eating it and im just not really seeing it, since the op i've had few piles in the corners wheres before it be more in his litter box, plus maybe with the increase in pellets maybe this could be another factor, do you think I should decrease pellets and how much would you recommend as the weighing cups seem to recommend about 60g as vets recommend about one or tablespoons, slightly confused?xx Also his poos look fine too and loads of.x Do you think if it is a case of not liking the hay as much that he will grow to like it?

It could be that he's filling up on pellets in that case - the feeding guidelines on the packets are usually fat too high I've found. I normally feed mine around an eggcup full a day each so I would gradually reduce the pellets while monitoring his weight as you might find he needs slightly more or less pellets.

As for the hay itself, there are things you can do to encourage hay eating & there are lots of helpful ideas on this thread. :wave:

thanks for all the information that is great, funnily enough he actually has been eating it today!! I have reduced his pellet slightly but have quite a few times now seen him actually eating it!!! thankfully.xxx:wave: Thanks for all the info, so great to have people who know so much and have expertise in this area!!

Back