• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Supervising a bun in a collar...

Pix

Warren Scout
As I said in the other post - both my buns were neutered yesterday.

The boy is doing fine - I'd like if he drank a little more water, but he's left his wounds alone, he's eating, drinking (a little), cleaning, pooing, weeing, and I've not seen any uneaten caecals.

The girl on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. Her wound is all internal dissolvable stitches, and external glue. She ate all the glue and ripped the wound open yesterday about half an hour after being discharged from the vets. She's now got an e-collar and is under constant surveillance.

Upon advice from someone from here, I tried to give her 30 mins collar-free time and it took her 5 mins to start chewing at the glue holding her together. So I had to abandon collar-free time and put the collar back on. The wound was nibbled, but okay.

When we booked them in for the neuter, we arranged so that someone would be with them all day for the next 2 days. I'm with them today and mr is with them tomorrow.

But... I'm not overly worried about the Buck. He seems okay. Fairly chilled. Not bothered. Leaving his stitches alone etc etc. I think he'd be okay left alone while we went out/were at work. In fact, he slept downstairs in the kitchen last night (they're outdoor buns, and we've only got one cage, and we can't get their hutch past the kitchen - so he was in the hutch in the kitchen). We checked on him every 2 hours. He seemed/was fine.

I am worried about leaving the doe. She's currently not left for more than 10mins at a time. Can you leave a bunny with a collar on? We've found ways to lodge her food around the indoor cage so that she can get to it. She gets a bit frustrated, and she can't eat dry food pellets. But she is eating fresh stuff and hay and drinking water and the occasional treat (she had the corner from my toast - which is a very rare treat for the buns)...

Should a rabbit be left with an e-collar? I honestly don't know what to do. For how long should she be supervised 24/7?

I have to go back to work, but I obviiously don't want her to hurt herself further. Can bunnies in collars be left?

Back