• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP --- What do I do with a hurt baby wildie?? =( [PICS ADDED]

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I just woke up this morning to find my cat chasing a baby bunny. He is a gorgeous little thing, but I have no idea how old he is. Can't be more than a few months. He has a broken back leg and is seemingly snapped at the joint and twisted inward.

I don't want to assume the worst, but I don't think I'm thinking objectively. I picked him up gently in a towel in placed him in a small box. What do I do to help him? :cry:

Last edited:
His leg isn't broken!!! I didn't look correctly, and he actually just has a lot of fur pulled away revealing skin. Will get a pic soon to show.

I'm not quite sure how it works in America but in Britain most vets will treat wildlife for free. If he has been caught by a cat and has any broken skin he will need antibiotics, cat bites are very bad for causing infections. He may also need pain relief. If you have a wildlife hospital it would be worth giving them a call.

Here are a couple pictures of him and his injury

This is him in the little box. You can see part of his fur his lifted up:

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/sidereus7/?action=view&current=2c461173.jpg

And here is a picture of what it looks like where the fur is ripped up. (WARNING: Picture is a little bit graphic):

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/sidereus7/?action=view&current=0f5146d7.jpg

I have no idea about wildlife centers, so I will research that now. I live in the States, so I have to figure out what it available. Any idea of what I can do for now?

Last edited:
can you call your local vet and see if they will treat it for free because its a wild one or if they know who to call

He needs a vet!!

That looks sore, poor wee thing.

I know :cry: It's 5:30am here and I don't drive, so I'm trying to find someone who is awake that will take me to the vet.

In the mean time, I have some Metacam, but it expired in January 2011. Does that just mean that it's a little less effective? I wouldn't even know where to begin with dosing, but I just want to do something for him until I can get him to a vet. :cry:

Anyone??

Ouch, definately needs a vet he will be very sore, if the legs is sitting at a funny angle it may well be dislocated too.

There's a vet within walking distance (about a mile), but they don't open for another hour and a half. If anyone has any ideas about what I can do until then for this little guy, I would love to hear it.

The Metacam should still be ok. Just make sure not to overdose, as the bunny is tiny. I hope you can find a vet who will help the bunny. :(

Personally, I would keep him warm, dark, quiet and as still as possible. I would not medicate if you do not know dosage and the med is out of date.

Had a quick look on the net and it seems that oral metacam takes a couple of hours to act, so I would definately wait until he sees a vet and they can inject metacam which will act much more quickly.
Good Luck.

Had a quick look on the net and it seems that oral metacam takes a couple of hours to act, so I would definately wait until he sees a vet and they can inject metacam which will act much more quickly.
Good Luck.

That makes a lot of sense. Everywhere I call, they just make me call somewhere else, so I guess I'll just try the vet down the street as soon as I can.

Should I try and disinfect the wound with betadine or something? I don't know if that would be too traumatizing for the little thing or if it's worthwhile.

I took him to my vet and they said he would be better off at a wildlife center and gave me the address to drop him off. I asked if they could do anything for him beforehand, but they said they weren't allowed. I asked if they could give him a little Metacam, and my vet agreed because she's amazing. They gave him .005 of the .05 Metacam orally, because he was too small for injectable versions.

I dropped him off at the wildlife place, and they didn't even let me say goodbye. I got one more blurry picture in the car. :cry:

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/...6/sidereus7/?action=view&current=9cfc5661.jpg

Back