• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vibes for Gus please

Mr Gus, my beloved 8 year old dwarf lop had an abscess on his jaw cut away yesterday. Sadly it had spread to the bone.

He was quite perky when we got him home and was eating and pooing but this morning no poos, he wasnt eating and seemed in a lot of pain. He wouldnt let me syringe feed him or give him his antibiotics. The wound area is really inflamed.

I've taken him back to the vets this morning and they have admitted him and put him on fluids and are syringe feeding him. He's had some more anti-biotics and pain relief. The vet thinks his long term prognosis is poor though.

Up until Friday when the abscess appeared he's been in good health for ages, and despite his age and failing eyesight he was quite perky and active, although he has aged a fair bit in the past couple of months.

He had a retrobulbar abscess at a year old that was successfully treated but with his age now I dont think he's got much fight left in him.

So please send him some vibes for him to make it through this. If he comes through today then there could be some hope for him, although the vet has said if there is no improvement in the next few days it could be time to let him go. I dont want to, but I dont want him to be in pain either. I hoped that he would go peacefully in his sleep in his old age, and not be in pain.

we have some small 'mice dropping' poos and he's just started nibbling hay bless him. he's staying overnight at the vets again but they think he might soon be well enough to come home.

i'm so happy that he is turning a corner.

Well Mr Gus has started troughing curly kale, and is pooing again so he's coming home tonight :D

I think he will be a lot happier at home now he's over the worst and hopefully he will make a good recovery.

Yay, well done Gus.

I hope when he comes home he continues to improve. I am sure a familiar environment will work wonders. You must be relieved :)

Back