• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets At Home?

I'd say no. Getting them from a rescue would be better.
There are thousands and thousands of bunnies in rescues looking for homes.

I'd also recommend a rescue. They will come health checked for one, many people have bought ill rabbits from P@H before.

The rescue route really is the best option, I got both of mine from a rescue and they came neutered and vaccinated! :thumb:

I bought a Pets at Home bunny and he was ill when I bought him. They are not well bred. I rescued my 2nd and I would reccomened a rescue rabbit!

rescue buns are better they are already neutered so no babies and health checked and vaccinated take a look at the rabbits in need section of ru...and good luck:love:

One of my bunnies, Bunny :)oops:), was from Pets at Home. Unfortunately he wasn't very well, and has since cost me quite a lot of money in vet's bills. Some of the buns at Pets at Home have illnesses that go unnoticed, and can create quite a lot of expense for the people who buy them.

If you rescue a bunny from a rabbit rescue, the bunny will have spent some time at the rescue with people who really understand rabbits, and will have been fully health checked, so you know what you are getting :). Rescues will also neuter and vaccinate the buns for you, so you can have that peace of mind.

My P@H bunny became ill within a couple of weeks and has cost me £100's on vet bills in the last 6 months!

My bridge bunny Flynn was a pets at home bunny, and he was poorly when i got him :(. He was such a great bunny though :love:

I would go to a rescue, already neutered and bonded bunnies, means they are very unlikely to fight and you dont have the panick when they go for their op :D

Is Pets At Home a good place to get 2 rabbits?:?

Why not try a rescue? In my experience you really get brilliant support before and after adopting furry friends.

There are over 30,000 rabbits awaiting new homes in rescues.

Most bunnies will be neutered and fully vaccinated. Some rescues just don't have the funding to do everything.

Also they will have some information about the individual bunnies available. Their personalities, likes and dislikes etc.

If you are interested, have a look on Rabbit Re-home website. I am certain you will find some bunnies which would be perfect for you. Also The Rabbits in Need section on RU.

Best of luck.

PAH breed from bad stock :evil:

My poor PAH bunny died, at just 9 months :( (Lottie in my sig) - looked & seemed perfectly healthy, and even had a health check at the vets, sadly died a week later :(

:wave:

I got my Kermit from PAH, he got head tilt at approx. 5 months old :(

They say that EC comes from unsanitary conditions at birth, so i would think that;'s how he got it.

In saying that, i would not have changed him for the world, he was my one in a million soul mate bunny x

As someone who used to work for them I'd say don't get a bunny from them! Infact, stay well away from them. You'll only buy heartache.

I agree with getting from a rescue. Your bunny will already be neutered and vaccinated, which will save you a lot of work at the beginning, the rescue will be there to give you advice, and support, and more importantly they will give you the correct information!

With pet shops, any pet shops, all they care about is getting your cash, getting you out the door, and whether they sold more or less rabbits than last month!

This is something we show to pepole who adopt from us. It will vary rescue to rescue, but essentially you can see how the numbers work out and how wide the gap is.

That's not taking into account anything about the rabbits, the health, the gender/miss sexing, potential behaviour problems, etc from places like that, or the back up support, the wide knowledge of rabbit, the knowing each rabbit well, the potential bonding support, etc, of a rescue.

This is mostly nomally in a table so I've soert of tried to convert it, likely badly.

We ask for 50sqft of permanent access for our rabbits, which can sound like a lot. Financially it can also appear expensive, so sometimes knowing a bit more about those costs can be useful.

For this purpose we will look at buying two rabbits from a pet shop or a breeder (one male and one female) and then adopting two rabbits from us (one male and one female), and ensuring that both are looked after appropriately.

Buying Two rabbits from rabbit from a pet shop or breeder (Rabbit 1- male, Rabbit 2- female)
Cost of rabbit Rabbit 1- Average £25.00+ Rabbit 2- Average £25.00+
Cost of minimally acceptable accommodation until bonded (due to needing to be kept completely separate until fully bonded) 6ft by 2ft hutch permanently attached to a 6ft by 4ft run. - Rabbit 1-Average £290.00 Rabbit 2- Average £290.00
Cost of Weather proofing accommodation Rabbit 1- Average £30 Rabbit 2- Average £30
Myxomatosis Vaccination Rabbit 1- Average £20.00 Rabbit 2- Average £20.00
VHD Vaccination Rabbit 1- Average £20.00 Rabbit 2- Average £20.00
Neutering/Spaying Rabbit 1- Neuter- Average £70.00 Rabbit 2- Spay- Average £85.00
Total Rabbit 1- £455.00 Rabbit 2- £455.00
Full total for a pair of rabbits bought from a pet shop or breeder is approximately £910.00

The bunnies then need to be bonded, which is not always successful and can take considerable effort and time (and sometimes extra vet bills, if they fight). If it is successful, then this gets them to the place that those at the Centre are at the point of adoption.

Adopting a rabbit from RSPCA Suffolk East Rabbit 1 (male) Rabbit 2 (female)
Cost of rabbit Rabbit 1- £25 donation Rabbit 2- £25 donation
Cost of minimally acceptable accommodation until bonded (due to needing to be kept completely separate until fully bonded)- 6ft by 2ft hutch permanently attached to a 6ft by 4ft run. Rabbit 1- * Rabbit 2- *
Cost of Weather proofing accommodation Rabbit 1- * Rabbit 2- *
Myxomatosis Vaccination Rabbit 1- Comes vaccinated Rabbit 2- Comes vaccinated
VHD Vaccination Rabbit 1- Comes vaccinated Rabbit 2- Comes vaccinated
Neutering/Spaying Rabbit 1- Comes neutered Rabbit 2- Comes spayed
Total Rabbit 1- £25.00 (with no accommodation) Rabbit 2- £25.00 (with no accommodation)
Full total for a pair of vaccinated and neutered or spayed rabbits from us is £50.00, excluding accommodation.

*That leaves roughly £860 (i.e. £910 - £50) 'left' for a budget towards accommodation. Most accommodations of the size we ask for are much cheaper than £860, so whilst it appears we ask for something very large and expensive, it still works out cheaper overall. The rabbits are happier with more space and our bunnies get their second chance at happiness in a loving home with ideal accommodation.

Reading this post has concerned me :(

I recently got my bunny from P@H and worried reading the comments.

What should I do?

Reading this post has concerned me :(

I recently got my bunny from P@H and worried reading the comments.

What should I do?

Enjoy the bunny you have and give him/her the best quality of life possible :) Make each day count :)

Same as for any other bunny, really.

Enjoy the bunny you have and give him/her the best quality of life possible :) Make each day count :)

Same as for any other bunny, really.

Just concerned he will have health problems as his from P@H.
He is going to the vets on saturday for his Myxomatosis injection should I get them to give him a health check?

Just concerned he will have health problems as his from P@H.
He is going to the vets on saturday for his Myxomatosis injection should I get them to give him a health check?

He should get a thorough health check before being given a vaccination anyway.

Just be vigilant as you would with any pet. Yes, there may be a higher risk of being ill, but the most important thing is doing what is best for him each day. If he gets ill, then he gets ill and you'll face that and deal with it if it arises.

He should get a thorough health check before being given a vaccination anyway.

Just be vigilant as you would with any pet. Yes, there may be a higher risk of being ill, but the most important thing is doing what is best for him each day. If he gets ill, then he gets ill and you'll face that and deal with it if it arises.

Thanks for your help.

Back