• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on a new hutch design

Hi guys,

We are thinking of introducing a new hutch design next year. And wanted your input. It's designed for the mass market.

Here's a mock up.

mollys-enhance.jpg

The dimensions are 2 metres x 1 metre. each floor is 55cm high, the top floor is higher due to the open roof.

It's 36 square feet in total space with an 18 square foot run.

It's basically an enhanced Mollys mansion, we are trying to improve our designs all the time.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Sean
Bits for Pets

Yes, I think the sheltered part would need to be bigger. Most people on here try to aim for a 6x2x2 min hutch/shed/playhouse with a run, as it allows the buns to have some nice hopping space even when the weather isn't good enough to go into the run itself, and for night-time.

ETA - I do like the fact the run bit is covered though :D

It looks awesome, but I think the actual hutch bit needs to be a bit bigger x

Well, making the hutch bit bigger would create problems with distribution, we are trying to strike a balance between the two.

The hutch is going to be 3ft x 3ft so 9 square foot per level.

Oops, just reaised I made a gaffe! The run is twice as long as it should be :D

New photo incoming

Its something I would have looked at when choosing a home for my bun but only if the living space was much bigger, deeper and wider. I really struggled to find a hutch big enough for my rabbit to move around in and ended up opting for a shed as it worked out much bigger and cheaper.

Well, making the hutch bit bigger would create problems with distribution, we are trying to strike a balance between the two.

New photo incoming

Can you not ship it 'flat-packed' if size is the issue? I think it's important to find ways around that problem so that you are offering a decent amount of space to an animal. Many hutch-makers deliver items flat-packed.

:wave: Agree with other comments. Hutch space not large enough :( Height of the run is excellent. I'd want a door in the side or end though to allow bun to exit for free ranging :wave:

ETA: now seen the actual run size and definitely a no from me:(

Last edited:

New photo incoming

3ft by 3ft is far too small. Plus you need to consider the space the ramps are taking off that :(

Can you not ship it 'flat-packed' if size is the issue? I think it's important to find ways around that problem so that you are offering a decent amount of space to an animal. Many hutch-makers deliver items flat-packed.

Flat Pack is how it would be shipped, but you have to consider the weight of the product and the carrier handling it without breaking the product.

I agree with Chul, 3x3, even though there are 2 levels of it, is just not big enough :( Even if the ramps weren't taking up space it's still tiny!

I would think that this is too small for Guinea Pigs as well as rabbits. The ramps take a lot of space off the living space. I would not buy it sorry:wave:

I wouldnt buy it. The dimensions are too small.

I believe that 36 sq feet total is less than the 44 sq feet minimum set out by the RWAF.

I also have issue with the height of each level, at 55cm high that is the same as around 21 inches which is less than 2ft high - 2ft being the minimum standard set out by the RWAF.

3ft x 3ft is a tiny space - no rabbit will be able to do 3 full hops end to end in that, which again is the standard used by the RSPCA and the RWAF, which the RWAF says is about 6-7ft, so I am afraid this design comes in quite substandard to those minimum recommendations when you look at it.

It also looks a bit fiddly to clean out and the base of the run is open, meaning it can be placed on grass which has issues about security of buns digging out, foxes digging in etc.

I hope my feedback is helpful for your design process.

Firstly, I think it's great that you are seeking opinions on your design. It's nice that we as a community can be involved in feeding back on a new design :thumb:

I do, however, think that it's too small :(

Are you aware that most rescues and the RSPCA will ask for a minimum housing spec when rehoming a bunny? This is usually a 6x2x2 foot hutch plus a 6x4/6x8 foot run.

I definitely think your design could be an excellent home for a bunny if it was bigger, as you have the access to the run etc.

ETA - I agree with a post above that if you were able to produce a hutch of the required dimensions, for a good price, you would certainly get a LOT of custom from people on this forum :D

I wouldn't buy it because it is way too small. Having the hutch part at just 3ft means that's half the minimum size a bunny needs.

I used to have a hutch similar to this but it had just 1 hutch level and after putting it together realised it was rubbish, too small and the ramp takes up alot of space, plus it was hard to clean and heavy to move.
So I had to buy a new hutch/run combo and the old one was used for them to run in and out of during free-range time.

i'm sorry I'd agree its too small. Great idea but size wise its not suitable. I'd imagine that as with other hutches of this size it would also be quite costly to the point that a shed works out cheaper and bigger. The height of teh run would be better reduced from what it is to enable a longer living space. the 3x3 isnt a true reflection of the size as the ramps take up alot of space.

I agree with Chul, 3x3, even though there are 2 levels of it, is just not big enough :( Even if the ramps weren't taking up space it's still tiny!

It's an interesting point, but I view things froms slightly different perspective.

My bunnies live in a 3 storey Fredie hutch. They have a 5ft freddie run and then a megarun attached to that.

In the rain they sit outisde under a hide that is about 30cm x 45cm. They use the run space all year round and when they stay in the hutch the always stay in the same spot, behind the door just outside their sleeping box. The rest of the hutch is rarely used.

So in my experience it's the run space that needs to be a priority and as long as the hutch allows the rabbits to sprawl out and relax then they seem pretty happy.

Does anyone else have similar views?

Back