• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Bonding Rabbits!

lucyewok

New Kit
Hi

I bought a baby rabbit to bond with my 4 yr old rabbit as my other rabbit had to be put down and i didnt want her living alone. My 4 yr old is called Boo and she is a very tolerant rabbit, strongly bonded with all of us in the family. i bonded her when she was 1 yr old with a 6 week old bunny boy, it took 4 days and they never fought and were inseperable!

i've had my bunnies insude in a neutral area for 2 weeks now, they lick, Boo always licks him (Buddy) he has not licked her yet. they lie next to each other never fight, eat together share treats, litter tray and toys.

i have been trying them outside together but Boo is being very difficult, inside they are perfect together and i could leave them together all day, i dont need to be there with them at all. but outside she rushes at him and chases him, also if one is in the run she will dig through the bars at him and act aggressive.

i dont know where to go from here, i have been swapping hutches, but nothing seems to be making a difference. is it simply i need them in the house for another few weeks together and trying them outside now and again or do i need to be doing more specific things?

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you

lucy

hi. :wave:
the biggest mistake when bonding is giving them too much space too soon.. could this be the problem?

is there any way you can gradually increase their run space bit by bit?

i'm not sure what you mean by if one is in the run she will dig to get at him.. and tried swapping hutches, are you seperating them because the slightest seperation can break the bond at this early stage and set you back to square one.

also did you neutralise their old terratory before moving them back out? if your doe can smell her old scents she will be terratorial.

i'm not the best expert on here but i have done a few bondings. when you move them to the old terratory it all needs to have been washed in something like white vinegar.. i had to do an entire shed and run.. toys, bowls, litter trays etc..

but if you haven't done that and keep seperating them i think that could be your problem.:(

Back