• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To those of you who only use newspaper and hay in litter trays...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...how often do you change them? Every day?

I find the newspaper gets soggy really quickly (5 sheet thickness) and then they are just sat on wet newspaper as the hay gets moved around a lot (especially with my little man). I don't want them to get urine all over their feet if i can avoid it so was curious.

Answers on a digital postcard please.

I used to use newspaper and hay, and I changed it every day for that exact reason: the paper would get quite soggy.

I clean out my bunnies' litter trays daily. I put newspaper about 10 pages thick.

Any bunnies staying are cleaned out twice daily.

Never had any problems.

I cahnge Spenser's basin daily. He usually has straw under the hay, and I've never had any problems. He tends just to go in the basin to do his business and doesn't often linger there for long.

Thank you, but i'm not paying ~£9 for 5kg of litter. :wave:

I use megazorb currently, at £11 for 85liters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, but i'm not paying ~£9 for 5kg of litter. :wave:

I use megazorb currently, at £11 for 85liters.

I've not tried megazorb but i believe it is made from paper whereas this is made from straw.

I will have to compare them myself and see which fares better.

I change it every morning, but use a whole newspaper each time!! The wee never gets all the way to the bottom layer so the tray is always nice and clean! :D

I find that in my huge underbed storage thing that I only need to change every 2 days as there is just so much newspaper crammed into it it takes ages to soak through. That and it's piled with hay as well.

a huge wad of newspaper (about a dozen double sheets) and lots of hay changed completely daily and hay topped up throughout the day. doesn't cause any probs as there's only one bun per tray though - and esme prefers to 'go' outside.

the outdoor buns have megazorb and hay.

I put quite a lot of newspaper at the bottom, then a thick layer of straw, which doesn't get flattened as quickly as hay and lets the wee and poo go through to the bottom. And then I put the hay in the corner that they don't use for weeing. And the litter boxes are quite big.

Have you looked at smartbedz litter?

It's super absorbent, and odour retention is amazing.

We have it on our site

http://www.bitsforpets.com/smartbedz-5kg-p-4570.html

We have made a video showing how amazing it is and will be uploading it soon for all to see.

I would never again used a straw based litter as one of my rabbits was admitted to the vets with stasis and he was found to have a very full stomach, although I can't prove it was the straw based litter (not the brand shown), there really was nothing else he could have gorged himself on. Luckily with the right care it didn't cause a blockage but I'm sure I could have lost him through it.

Before then I thought the product was amazing, it is the most absorbent litter I've used, and the fresh smell was a bonus as it seemed to keep the flies away.

Last edited:
I clean mine out every evening. I use a whole newspaper but unfolded so it's full length as I use underbed storage boxes for mine, the newspaper fits perfectly.

I just put newspaper (basically half a paper), covered in shredded newspsper-no hay!! The hay is in a rack next to the tray.

I clean it everyday, definately needs it. Mine just tend to be in there when they are actually doing their business tho, they dont linger. They actually prefer to eat the hay from a basket away from their tray (not that they are great hay eaters).

I use a whole thick newspaper in the lops tray and it lasts two days. It does get a bit wet by the end of the second day but the thick layer of hay means they arent sitting on wetness. The lionheads have half a thinner newspaper in each washing up bowl and that lasts two days too. If they were outside I would change it every day due to the threat from flies and it would be less energy to change it.

I was going to add something else but I've been sitting here for five minutes and still can't remember what it was!

I have under bed storage boxes and fill them like this:

Newspaper at the bottom
Layer of megazorb
Another layer of newspaper
Then hay on top

I usually just change the top layer of newspaper and hay everyday and then do a full clean out every few days :wave:

Morning and night - two racing posts in each litter tray or four slices of the financial times does the trick ( thanks to work for letting me take them home........).

Then its topped with a little bit of old hay they didnt get round to eating in their munch basket.

Back