• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

smelly bunny and very itchy!

sheridan

Warren Scout
hi guys,

any help would be helpful.

Gizmo is my 10 month old female minilop. she was spayed when she was 6 months old.

For the last 3-4 months, her living area smells constantly. Its almost like there is always stale urine about. She is completely litter trained and her bottom is clean. the smell is very strong if I am at work and leave her litter box unchanged for a couple of days. but even when I change the box they smell is strong just a few hours later.
Even if I clean her litter tray out every 12 hrs the smell is still there. She has free run of the conservatory and apart from the very occassional dropping which I think she kicks out of her box the area is clean.

Also she is scratching herself a lot and has also been doing so for the last 4 months. I cant see any flees. she will sit forever while you stroke her and then when you stop she will scratch the area....

Last week I had to hold her down and groom her as she was moulting badly and got what looks like her full winter coat out at once.

No change in appetite, urine or poops. No change in behaviour sleeping patterns or anything else.

can anyone suggest what I can do about the smell? and also about the itching?

Thanks loads

sorry I have no ideas - I think a trip to the vets for a proper diagnosis?
As far as I know mites and fleas don't make them smelly.

sue:wave:

hey Sue,

I did take her once before because of an awful smell when she was actually smelly herself. the vet couldnt find anything.

Gizmo herself doesnt smell at all. its just her area.....

maybe she has a urinary tract infection? does she hop in her tray a fair old bit?

our bridge bunny woozle suffereed from it...his tray smelt like a cross between cat pee and raw meat:shock: turned out eventually that he had pretty bad bladder sludge too.

are her scent glands blocked?

this is me just guessing but as far as im aware no uti.
she will happily play outside for hrs and will go to sleep in the sun and I have never seen any pee outside.

as for her scent glands..... I have to admit I have never had a goo look but generally stroke her in under her chin and havent felt anything...like any lumps or crusting....

I think I will have to try and have a good look but she is an extra fluffy bunny!!!! I actually thought she was developing a very very very big dwalup but it turns out its just fur!

oh yeah and she doesnt actually smell at all....

how do i go about posting pictures on here? I wanna share my baby!!

Last edited:
Back