• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry another OCD worry...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
In regards to VHD...

when the vet came over yesterday I asked him how likely it is that a vaccinated rabbit could contract vhd, he said
'No vaccine is ever 100% so yes theroretcly (sp?) a vaccinated rabbit could contract vhd.
And yes theroreticly it can be transfered via clothes/shoes etc but really the risk is so miniscule I would say not to worry about that.
Really you would need to walk through a rabbit warren where all the rabbits have vhd and walk through the poo for it to really be a concern'

So walking around in general, like in a park where a wild rabbit could have been is not a risk?
Or walking on the door mat with bare feet then going in to see the bunnies is no risk, even though shoes have been on the door mat?

The keyword is theoretically. It's like theoretically I could be a alien from another planet, genetically altered to look like you weird humans with your two eye balls and only one nose. However, the chances are pretty slim ;)

did you ask your vet has he ever seen a case of a vaccinated bunny dying of VHD??? maybe that is the better question to ask rather than the what if's???

there are millions of wild bunnies here where i live and my two are both still alive after almost a year of living here :wave:

The vet said is it likely that the one rabbit we could see with vhd be a vaccinated rabbit? Not likely.

The vet said is it likely that the one rabbit we could see with vhd be a vaccinated rabbit? Not likely.

sorry hun i don't understand this :?

my old vet in brum had an outbreak of VHD in about 20 unvaccinated bunnies, they lost most of them but with the vaccine given ASAP and what else she did they managed to save a few, these were unvaccinated bunnies in direct contact with the virus and they still survived once given the jab :wave:

If a vaccinated rabbit were to contract vhd, would it be a lesser strain due to being vaccinated or would it still be the full fatal strain?

sorry hun i don't understand this :?

my old vet in brum had an outbreak of VHD in about 20 unvaccinated bunnies, they lost most of them but with the vaccine given ASAP and what else she did they managed to save a few, these were unvaccinated bunnies in direct contact with the virus and they still survived once given the jab :wave:

I think what he ment is that the likely hood of seeing a rabbit with vhd after being vaccinated is not as likely as seeing a rabbit with vhd who is not vaccinated... :roll:

If a vaccinated rabbit were to contract vhd, would it be a lesser strain due to being vaccinated or would it still be the full fatal strain?

its not like myxi where they get a lesser illness after being vaccinated.

They actually use the VHD virus to build up immunity so the bunny shouldn't get ANY strain as the immune system will already have the antibodies to fight it if it even tries to invade :D

You need to relax a little, I know it's very hard. I worry everyday about diseases and always think there's something wrong with somebun. You're already doing all you can to prevent illnesses, so sit back, relax and enjoy the buns being healthy and happy :)

I don't know if I should say this but *theoretically* there is a risk with everything. Freak accidents can occur.

But I have never heard of a vaccinated rabbit catching VHD and clearly no one else here has either, and with the breadth of experience on RU, I think that's a fair sign that it doesn't happen :)

Even if it was possible, would worrying about it make any difference? It's not like anything could be done about it, and it just takes away valuable time you could spend enjoying your bunnies. (Again, I know that's easier said than done.)

Back