• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Few questions re sore hocks and spaying

Sore Hocks
Looks like Skye has sore hocks again. Last time we werent sure if it was actually sore hocks or just a small injury as it was only one one foot. This time her skin really is looking quite red and sore :( I think the carpet i used to cover the wire ramp i made is to blame and have now covered it with some soft faux sheep skin fleece.

She free ranges in my room for several hours a day, the floor is carpet but shes never had a problem with that since i got her as shes on it intermittently :? The rest of her pen/base is foam mats with fleece over the top.

Ive put sudocream on, and were at the vets for VHD tomorrow, so i can mention it then. Is there anything else i can do? Are there and major dos and donts for sore hocks that i dont know of?

Spaying
I know with males you can tell when they are ready to be neutered because their plumbs drop, but are there any sure signs for females?

Skye is 4 months old now, and over the last week ive noticed shes turned into a bit more of a madam. Shes lunged at me occasionally, shes growled at me a few times over the last couple of days too and she clawed my hand when i was offering her a pellet :roll: :lol: I know its not a lot, but do you think shes almost ready?

Also, how heavy does she need to be before they can be safely spayed? Being a nethie, shes still really tiny! Im hoping i can get her spayed sooner rather than later. If i wait until shes 6 months, i wont be able to try bonding her until October, by which time it will be getting cold and im not sure its a good idea to be putting her outside. :?

Advice? :wave:
Thanks in advance :)

Re: spaying, I think the usual is 6 months, that's how old Mini was, but some vets will do it earlier, best to ask your vet.

Re: sore hocks, i dont know what to suggest other than it might be best to leave it alone and then ask the vets. Sometimes putting stuff on it can make it worse. It sounds like the surfaces are all good, sometimes health issues can aggregate it. Mini's hip is slightly off and she gets a sore hock that side which I hae to keep an eye on.

sorry i dont know anything to tell u but !!

skye stop being a little madam!!:evil: be nice to your human slave :D

With Ben's sore hocks, I found that vet bed really helped, and keeping everythng really really clean but not using any vinegar/water solution helped to stop them getting aggravated. Other than that, my vet gave me some cream which is supposed to speed natural healing, which has worked well for Peanut x

With Ben's sore hocks, I found that vet bed really helped, and keeping everythng really really clean but not using any vinegar/water solution helped to stop them getting aggravated. Other than that, my vet gave me some cream which is supposed to speed natural healing, which has worked well for Peanut x

Shes always immaculate, apart from the odd hay party! I havent got the money for the amount of vet bed id need, Ive got an expensive couple of months coming up and what i have spare, i want to save as i just have a feeling there will be a few vet bills too.

Apart from the ramp and top level of her pen, shes on foam mats and fleece. Ive now covered the top level and ramps with a really soft faux sheep skin fleece. Youve probably seen it, actually (last haul video :oops:)

I know its carpet thats caused it this time, i should have covered the bits in her pen in the first place! :(

sorry i dont know anything to tell u but !!

skye stop being a little madam!!:evil: be nice to your human slave :D

I dont mind, shes quite amusing! :lol:

Last edited:
Back