• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in pet shop. Need help with complaint.

sammi_83

Warren Scout
Hi, I know I'm new here but I need help already!

I was in a pet shop today, I never usually go in this one as I know they keep their animals very badly and it upsets me no end.
Anyway I had to pop in and their set-ups for the animals has changed. The hamsters and gerbils are kept in huge tanks now with lots of toys and hideys but when I came to the bunnies my heart sank :cry:
There were 2 mini rexes (they were really big!) in a cage that was approx 2ft x 1.5ft.
They could sit down but there was no room for them to stretch their legs at all.
They had no hay, no toys and nothing to chew on.
The gerbils were in a tank the same size as the ones for the bunnies.

Surely this cant be legal to keep them like this?
I wish I had taken my phone so I could have taken pics as evidence to back up my complaint email that I will be writing.

I wondered if anyone could help me with a complaint letter. I am not so good with words and dont want to sound silly or anything, I want them to take me seriously as bunnies cant be kept like that.

So does anyone know what I should say?

I'm in the same position. Except the pet shop near me has 3 bunnies in a 2 ft cage. My local council has taken down it's pet shop license rules while they are updating them, so not entirely sure what to quote at them. I had boycotted this pet shop after seeing they had 3 much smaller bunnies in it before (potentially even too young to be alone from the mother) but now the other better one has closed down I can't get my SS except from this bad one.

I'm going in on a spying mission tomorrow, as it's near my work and the only time I can realisitically get there (I work one day a week) to see what condition they are in. Last time they were in their cage eating a muesli mix, with cucumber and what looked like spinach leaves. Can they even eat cucumber?? I googled and some places say yes, some no. Either way I wouldn't give it to young buns such as those.There was wee sprayed all up the wall behind the cage that looked like it had been there for ages.

They also had a kitten in a dog crate, there were 4/5 in it the first time I saw them, and I overheard the owner saying they didn't know how old they were or if they were male or female even :?

The first time I would have questioned the owner, but she was crying as the shop dog had just died, and was explaining to some other customers. Now I'm thinking it's best to bite my tongue so as not to spook them while I get on the case of reporting them.

Thank you Janice :)

There was only 1 bunny in there on Sunday, but I still want to complain as I'm sure they'll have 3 in the 2 ft cage again soon.

Back