• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rat in the garden - could it pass on disease to the buns?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
As the title says really, a rat keeps coming into our garden, looking for food (previously the bird feeder fell over and spilled seed everywhere and we saw the rat then) ..... but I'm just wondering, if it goes up to the mesh of the buns aviary and they're at the mesh on the other side, could they catch any diseases from it??

It can't get into the aviary but I'm just worried about if they're checking each other out through the mesh!?!?!

Is there any way I can stop the rat coming in? Do you think it will eventually get bored??

Maybe it can smell the rabbit food?? (I keep it in the aviary but again, it can't get to it)!

I'm really worried about the buns now!

Unfortunately Rats can transmit a variety of diseases, the an also give a very nasty (and bacteria ridden) bite. I am afraid it is a job for Pest Control. I will probably be lynched for saying it, but I could not tolerate vermin around my Rabbits and the Rat would have to be gotten rid of.

Where could I get hold of a humane trap?? And how does it get out of the trap?? (I'd be scared that it would try and bite me)!!

There's no seed/food in the garden now so I'm hoping it was just a one off and it was on a scouting mission ..... found nothing so has decided to search elsewhere ...... but I can't risk the buns getting bitten or becoming ill!!

Also, it was hanging round by the frog 'pond' ........ would it try and get a frog???? Froggy is now sat right in the middle of the paving in the garden!

Oh wow really??? What did you do? Put it round the boundaries or something??

We had rats living under our rabbit sheds, we soaked rags in peppermint oil and stuffed them all around the sheds, within days the rats were gone. Haven't had one since, and I know that because they were digging holes around the bottoms of the sheds and there's been no holes or sightings in months. Rats cannot bare peppermint oil smells and will leg it if you use enough :D

There's several natural and humane ways of getting rid of rats, that one is effective for us.

We had rats living under our rabbit sheds, we soaked rags in peppermint oil and stuffed them all around the sheds, within days the rats were gone. Haven't had one since, and I know that because they were digging holes around the bottoms of the sheds and there's been no holes or sightings in months. Rats cannot bare peppermint oil smells and will leg it if you use enough :D

There's several natural and humane ways of getting rid of rats, that one is effective for us.

Brilliant, thanks, I might try that .....its not living in the garden and there seems to be only one (that comes in our garden anyway) so maybe if I soak rags and put it round the boundaries it'll stop coming in! :thumb:

Worth remembering.....Cheers!!xxx

Ahhh I didn't know that. Our neighbours have bird food in their garden that attracts rats (I've posted on here about it before) and we've got traps for them but they seem to have figured out that they're bad and wont go near them anymore. Will try the peppermint oil along the fence near that neighbour.

I'm assuming its OK for bunnies and dogs? (I don't have a dog, but the neighbours do).

Back