• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are we all wrong??? RE matted feet

Carrie14

Mama Doe
Last edited:
i would say leaving matts in causes the skin not to be able to breath and when the feet get wet the matts will not dry causing the skin to go moist and cause bad and sore skin, that is my experiance as a dog groomer, however i dont know if its different in rabbits. I would not clip the feet extremely short as this can cause irratation just enough to get rid of the matts and then groom them regually so there are no matts in the future :)

i would say leaving matts in causes the skin not to be able to breath and when the feet get wet the matts will not dry causing the skin to go moist and cause bad and sore skin, that is my experiance as a dog groomer, however i dont know if its different in rabbits. I would not clip the feet extremely short as this can cause irratation just enough to get rid of the matts and then groom them regually so there are no matts in the future :)

I know this is a general rule, but rabbits are one of the only animals I can think of that have hairy feet. There must be a reason for this:?

I know this is a general rule, but rabbits are one of the only animals I can think of that have hairy feet. There must be a reason for this:?

dogs have hairy feet :) i wasnt saying you should clip them off all the time, just if there matted and get wet the matts will never dry causing the skin to get sore, but like i said im a dog groomer its only what i know from dogs :)

answered to your other thread about the same question -

It means don't trim the very dense fluffy bits as they act like 'shoes' cushioning the impact of the feet on the floor. -

but DO take out any foreign matter (seeds, dirt etc), and remove the tufts that form of loose hair - as they can chew and ingest these.

It means don't trim the very dense fluffy bits as they act like 'shoes' cushioning the impact of the feet on the floor. -

but DO take out any foreign matter (seeds, dirt etc), and remove the tufts that form of loose hair - as they can chew and ingest these.

:thumb:

dogs have hairy feet :) i wasnt saying you should clip them off all the time, just if there matted and get wet the matts will never dry causing the skin to get sore, but like i said im a dog groomer its only what i know from dogs :)

I worked at a dog groomers for a while and have a daft westie:lol::wave:

Dogs pads are bald, but there is no bald bit on rabbits feet, strange little beasties:lol:

The problem is Sally's feet got really matted. I thought you never trim there feet. Anyway after the last thread I trimmed them no problem, not too short and only the tips of the fur. Just checking it is OK, thanks.

When I googled anti-concussion it was coming up with crash hats and stuff:lol: Took me a while to realise it was anti concussion, somehow misreads it:oops:

I worked at a dog groomers for a while and have a daft westie:lol::wave:

Dogs pads are bald, but there is no bald bit on rabbits feet, strange little beasties:lol:

aww cool :) well i think it depends on the breeds as i have to clip alot of matts out of dogs pads.. and send them to the vets as they have grass seeds inside usally cocker spainels, west highlands usally do have bald pads as most of them have fine fur.

good piccy here of before and after http://www.thesheepiestore.com/BeforeAfterPads.jpg :)

But i do think rabbits hocks are different and need to be protected as someone else on here said they act as "shoes", dont listen to my doggy knowledge :lol: :oops:

I have to trim the matts on Mr B's feet as they get really hard and must be uncomfortable to stand on. I do it in stages though so that I dont take it all off at once.

Yep that's the one (the link didn't work but google found a sheep dog one:love:)

Dogs have all this fluff between the pads but I have never found bald pads on rabbits. (And yes I have looked:oops::lol:)

Back